1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Currently own an Ibanez TMB100, looking to go SS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gershwindows7, Jan 24, 2017.

1. gershwindows7

gershwindows7

Jan 24, 2017
    Hey! So I'm brand new to this forum and pretty new to bass. After a couple years of really wanting to learn the bass (I'm a wind player), I went to a few shops and ultimately went with the Ibanez because I really like its sound. The only problem is, I have really tiny hands. I know people always say they have tiny hands, but mine are actually tiny. Like, whenever a new person shakes my hand, they think it's appropriate to comment on just how tiny my hands are. When getting my bass, I decided it wouldn't be a problem, and that I'd get used to it. I now think a short scale is the way I want to go. The only short scales I seem to encounter in stores are the Mikros, so I haven't been able to try many/any out. I'm looking to potentially purchase a new bass online as a trial run, does anybody have any recommendations? I'm looking to spend $300 at most, but could probably go past that in the future.

TL;DR: Can't seem to find many SS basses in store, would like recommendations at the $300 and below range

2. primussucks9126

primussucks9126 Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2008
    Bronx, NY
    Ibanez makes a short scale version of the TMB100. The TMB30, i believe. Its around $180. Might be a good fit.

Squier makes the short scale jaguar which is priced about the same as the TMB.

Theres also the new Mustang PJ from Fender, which goes for 550 new, but you might find one close to your price range if a used one pops up. I played one and was really impressed by its tone/feel.

Danelectro Longhorns are great too, and theyre also super light. I own one and its one of favorite basses.

Theres also hofners ignition series, but if you like the sound of the TMB, a hofner probably isnt the way to go. I also own one of these.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  3. gershwindows7

gershwindows7

Jan 24, 2017
    Thanks a bunch! I don't know how I let the tmb30 totally slip my mind! The Squier jag was one I was looking into as well as a Gretsch if I could find one. Once again, thanks for the input.

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    And the TMB30 is an AMAZING value for $179. Really. I didn't expect much, I just knew I needed to recoup a bunch of money by selling my vintage Mustang, and the Talman 30 that replaced it makes me way happier than any sub-$200 bass should be able to.

5. gershwindows7

gershwindows7

Jan 24, 2017
    Sweet, I can't believe I forgot about them, I think that's what I'm going to go for!

6. I have a Jag SS and I also had a Gretsch 2202.

Of the two I bet you'll like the Jag SS better.

7. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    If your hands are indeed that small, forget the Talman, it has a baseball bat for a neck which completely kills it. The Mikro 4 and especially the 5 are the best bang for the buck. If you can free up more money t spend, a used Fender P Junior and/or the Fender JB62SS are the way to go. They are 10% smaller versions of the P and the J but with all the same hardware, pickups and electronics as the full scale models. Sound exactly the same too. Just sold my P junior because I am going 5 string only but they are awesome.

8. gershwindows7

gershwindows7

Jan 24, 2017
    Thanks for the advice. Those basses are unfortunately out of my price range until I finish up my degree next year. The mikro is the only SS I've tried, and I wasn't a big fan, but I'll look into it again for sure. I hadn't really thought much about the neck. I've just assumed it's the lack of stretch of my fingers. I can't span an octave on a piano which I maybe incorrectly assumed is similar to my difficulty with fret reach.

9. GoLeafsGo

GoLeafsGo Not Quite Right! Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2013
    Whitby Ontario
    I have both the Jag SS and the Gretsch Junior Jet. I really like them both. Two different beasts, very different from each other. I had to do some mods on the Jag (bridge pup is real weak) but a set of 1/4 pounders later (I know, they cost as much as the bass did.) it is great. The only thing I have done to the Gretsch is change strings. It is great with flats.