Curse this forum - Annoyed at a concert by a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by monsterthompson, Oct 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I just went out to see Max and Iggor reunite for the 20th anniversary of Sepultura's Roots album. I've got a drink in my hand, and I'm all set and ready to get back to the primitive, when I see it. On stage. Right next to the stack draped in a Brazilian flag. An 810 cab, on its side. Two rows of four 10" drivers. I can't stop looking at it. Won't somebody think of the dispersion?!

2. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
    Wilco's bassist John Stirratt's rig
    IMG_0941.JPG

3. 10cc

10cc Inactive

Oct 28, 2013
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

A lot of roadies know little about dispersion. Mind you the PA is carrying most of the bass.

timmerz, jnewmark, GregC and 5 others like this.
  5. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    so how did he sound?

monsterthompson likes this.
  6. I lay mine on the side sometimes, has more bottom that way (although I'm sure it doesn't get out as well) and it doesn't annoy the guitar player as much when he's right in front of it.:D

7. ThisBass

ThisBass

Aug 29, 2012
    Germany
    Two rows of violines behind the cab so the cab is of "matching" dispersion to the violines.

I think in an symphony orchestra all the "matching" instruments should stack vertically :D.
    Won't somebody think of the dispersion?!

8. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    Dispersion is a non issue for lots of players. I still know plenty of top players who put a 410 of a 115. Oh, the horror!

Honestly, first and foremost, it's all about the song. Then player talent, then bass, strings, amps, cabinet tone, etc.... At some point way down that list is cabinet dispersion. And if you are playing a large venue with FOH support, then it moves even further down the list. Above all, play a cabinet for it's tone. I truly mean that. If I find a cab that gives me a tone I just love, but the dispersion sucks, I'll take that over a cab I don't like as much, but has better specs on paper any day of the week!

timmerz, jnewmark, Radio and 16 others like this.
  9. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    ^^^ It was borderline tragic ;)

He sounded fine. The FOH was probably pulling heavy lifting. It was a big, but not HUGE venue. It was scooped and metal, so it wasn't a great format for evaluating finer points of the bass tone, but it was on par with most metal shows I've seen at similar venues.

I wasn't truly upset by that issue. However, I've been listening more to recording mixes in my headphones lately, so I find myself wanting a more controlled mix. But, come on, it is a metal show. Things are meant to be loud and gnarly. The songs hold up, and it was a blast to see them on stage again. It really was all about Max and his giant dreadlock singing amazing songs, and wearing urban camo shorts.

AdamR, LiquidMidnight, Grumry and 3 others like this.
  10. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001

11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    They clearly don't want to block the view of the fiddle players. I see 810's on their side often enough. Better to look good.

IMG_1180.JPG

IMG_1179.JPG

Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  12. slade

slade

Apr 5, 2001
    What this guy said. Saw 311 play with his rig set up the same way. Sounded insane. Sure, mains handled some of the sound but this was in a small club and I cruised the room. Much ado about not a lot with regards to dispersion.

guy n. cognito likes this.
  13. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    My first thought was the same - looks to me they laid it down so the audience could see past it.

P_Robyn and monsterthompson like this.
  14. BlackCatBassman

BlackCatBassman

Aug 11, 2016
    Saw a recent video of Blink-182 back in 1999 at a small-ish club

Mark Hoppus had two Ampeg 810s laid sideways then stacked on top of each other. Not sure what that accomplished, if anything.

EDIT: found it, jump to 0:11 in this video (mute the sound because it's obnoxious)

15. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Two 810s on their side, stacked is the same as two 810s standing side by side. It's all good for even numbers of cabs. ;)

rodl2005 and GroovinOnFunk like this.
  16. ofajen

ofajen

Apr 12, 2007
    92.4W 38.9N
    Not so likely to get knocked over if things get crazy?

Otto

rumblejunkie likes this.
  17. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    That's very sensible.

ImaStupidBaby likes this.
  18. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Andrew Weiss of Rollins Band would set up his two Hartke 410s in this manner. Granted, they were put of top of his road cases. Good shot of his bass rig in the opening seconds of this clip.

SunnBass likes this.
  19. Jamvan

Jamvan The Bassist Formerly Known As Meh Gold Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Minnesota
    I went and saw In Flames open for Opeth and they had a fridge lying on its side as well. Personally, I thought the entire show sounded like mud so I don't think the dispersion from the cab was the issue.

Although, Opeth was running a Fender Bassman rig conventionally oriented and they sounded great so maybe?

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I don't care what anyone else does...I still hate the sideways 810. I like speakers up where I can hear them, or I like them tilted back. I don't mind four rows of 10"s, though...as long as there's two 810 cabs :D But rare is the gig I've been able to do that. As a matter of fact, it's never happened even once in my life.

GregC and PWRL like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021