Curse Thy Sweaty Palms!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by papalastre, Jun 25, 2004.

1. papalastre

Dec 10, 2003
    Whats the deal with you people who have the same set of for like a year or whatever. A set lasts me a month at the very most, including boiling every 5-6 days!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you guys just play with dead strings or are you some part of a secret cult which has invented a tablet to neutralise your sweat?
  2. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I wash my hands before I play, every single time. Makes a big difference, cause it's not just the sweat as you play (I don't get sweaty hands just from practicing, mind you, but I keep my house feeling like a meat locker, too), it's from all the grime and junk that gets on your hands as the day goes by.

I'm using flats now, but even when I was using EB Slinkies, I still lasted way longer than a month between string changes, and I've never boiled my strings.

4. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Handwashing definately works. Maybe try coated strings too, Elixirs and I know DR has some, the Bootsie strings are coated. It does feel a bit different, but they last for a while. I noticed a difference.
  5. SuperSluggard

Jan 2, 2004
    I need to try this hand washing thing. :(
  6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    The handwashing thing works well, also giving the strings a good rub-down after playing increases the life span. DR's are the only strings I have played that last longer than a week for me. I'm sure those coated strings probably last quite a bit longer but I never could get used to the feel of them.
  7. papalastre

Dec 10, 2003
    Thanks for all the help. i actually do wash my hands before play (even experimented with different soaps!!!!) and wipe strings with a clean clothe, but to no avail. Maybe the fact that i play for up to 2 hours a day nearly everyday has something to do with it. Does anyone know why stringlife and GHS FastFret seem to kill my stainless steel GHS'? i think its really annoying that they dont warn u about this. it also happened on a mate of mines elites (Stainless steel) who was pretty pissed too.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think this is your answer - so in the early 1980s, I used stainless steel strings (rotosounds) and they used to "go off" pretty quickly - I remember reading about how John Entwistle used to use new strings every time he played !! :eek:

But nowadays I use nickels and while they are never as bright as stainless steels, they last much longer and retain harmonics and good tone for 6 months or longer.

I think the point is that most of us in bands are there to provide bass - that is, the bottom end - and in most band situations, you just won't hear the "bright edge" to bass strings anyway - they are hidden by cymbals and other things going on. So good bass tone is where it's at and nickels last much longer with better tone, for those who don't want to be changing their strings every gig!! ;)
  9. i cant stand playing after washing my hands... the skin on my playing fingers becomes soft and very sticky to the strings which makes me play badly...