Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curt Smith Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Somebassguy, Nov 14, 2003.

1. Somebassguy

Somebassguy

Nov 5, 2003
    Everett Wa
    Anyone know what Bassist/Vocalist Curt Smith played back with Tears for Fears?

2. check out the archive pics on his site-
    http://www.curtsmithzerodisc.com/

Steinberger cricket bat
    Status headless
    Warwick thumb

at the recent TFF live appearance it looked like he was playing a Danelectro.

3. I saw a pic, looked recent ie 2008, where he was playing a Jerry Jones Shorthorn bass, copper with white pic guard, possibly black strings. Very cool looking. Always loved this band.

4. I swear he was playing a Hofner Club Bass when I saw him at the start of the year.

5. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    +1

6. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    Duesenberg Starplayer appears to be built after Hofner Club, and evidently Curt Smith likes short scale.

7. Jimmy Stump

Jimmy Stump

Jan 27, 2010
    Canada
    He has played a Status headless in the past.

Toredo1964 likes this.
  8. ModuMan

ModuMan How many is too many? Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2007
    Bristol, CT #19
    He also used a Steinberger L2. I seem to recall at the Knebworth show he used a Warwick Thumb 5-string fretless.

EDIT: Holy Zombie Thread! Or as this was posted six years ago... so hopefully the OP had his question answered!

9. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Now here's a thread I can sink my teeth into! I love Curt Smith's playing.

The above info is pretty much correct (Status, Warwick, etc). His main bass for the last few years is a Hofner Club bass- the Deusenberg is a recent acquisition. If you want to hear him do some great playing on the Hofner, track down their album form about 2 years ago "Everybody Loves A Happy Ending" It's a killer album- "Seeds Of Love" all the way- neo psychedelia with top notch melodies. Go to iTunes and check out "Who Killed Tangerine" for a taste. The drummer on it is an old bandmate of mine, Fred Eltringham, who plays w/ the Dixie Chicks and Wallflowers but used to be in a fabulous Boston pop band called the Gigolo Aunts.

There's your album recommendation of the day.

10. Winston TK

Winston TK Hairpiece Adventurer

Oct 8, 2001
    Burnaby, BC Canada
    Great recommendation. "Everybody Loves A Happy Ending" is a very strong album, and "Tangerine" was one of my absolute favourite tracks. Curt is in top form all over that record.

I still love watching the old clips with him and his Status, though. Those were really cool basses favoured by many a poptastic UK player.

11. odysseios

odysseios

Jan 18, 2007
    Sardinia, Italy
    Yeah, in the eighties the Steinberger bass was trendy.

12. Madwatch

Madwatch

Oct 26, 2010
    Here you can see him playing the hofner style bass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZobpw-aw0Q

One of my favorite bassists and this whole album is amazing

Also curt was on the usa network tv show Psyche recently playing guitar for a wedding and also at the end credits