Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curtis Lundy?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by powermans, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Gentleman,
    Picked up a DVD yesterday "Clark Terry Live in Concert" recorded in St.Lucia. Worth the money and Clark Terry certainly hasn't lost anything with age.... Still Cooks!
    I noted the Bassist Curtis Lundy behind Terry and went to my libary of Jazz Players... could not find anything on him.
    I thought he showed an unusual style...in particular when he went for a solo, I was holding my breath thinking he wasn't going to get to the end of it however, made it ! some nice lines in the Miles Davis "All Blues".
    Anyway, who knows some more about him?Is he still with us... who's he played with etc.
    Cheers:p

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Good bassist; he has a couple of cd's under his own name on the Justin Time Label that I highly recommend. His sister is an acclaimed singer Carmen Lundy.

I saw him this summer in NYC with John Hicks and Victor Lewis and he was really blowing and was a real nice cat to boot.

Monte

3. Thanks Ed & Monte!

4. I got the oppurtunity to attend two master classes at my college with curtis, one with percussionist Ray Mantilla another two years later with pianist Jon Hicks both times blown away. dat man has so much music! I know that he played with Bobby Watson for many years. I think Horizon was Curtis on some CD's i mean albums and another badass Essiet Essiet on some of the others.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - I've heard him with Bobby Watson as co-leader of the Horizon quintet and I do like the music, but I have mentioned before that his recorded DB sound is very strange - it sounds way over amplified. More like an EUB than my EUB sounds like!! :)

6. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    You need to check out his more recent recordings. He has a very nice tone. It seems like most bassists in the 80's had that overamped tone.

He was using an Underwood and mic and sounded nice this summer.

Monte