1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

curtis mayfield question

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by liquid sunshine, Oct 31, 2010.

1. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    i know curtis played many different instruments but i'm not sure what he played on the recordings the bass almost always has a defined style that tells me it was played by the same person throughout almost every album just wondering if anyone knows more about it

2. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    I don't specifically know the answer, but he did record and produce all his own material (and a few other artists) from about the time he left the Impressions. The only thing that would make me doubt that it's him on bass is the fact that his guitar playing is all in a weird open F minor tuning. Not to say that couldn't translate to bass for someone with such obvious musical skills, but it's not the most natural thing in the world.

3. curtis mostly played guitar (fender thinline telecaster).

his bassist was joseph "lucky" scott. he played on most of his stuff. great player who used a fender jazz bass. he was also his music director (as stated in the "curtis/live" record banter).

lucky scott is one of my favorites, great groove and sense of harmony. i love his playing :)

Icculus likes this.
  4. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Ditto. I saw him live shortly before he was critically injured in that stage mishap. He played guitar with a ton of wha wha and amazingly duplicated the Superfly sound perfectly on stage.

5. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    +1 for Curtis Mayfield bass being awesome! I've had a lot of Curtis' music, and I own Superfly on DVD hahaha. Really, really nice bass work on all his stuff.

6. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    Listen to the Curtis Mayfield track 'Beautiful Brother of Mine' for the biggest nastiest funk fuzz tone ever!

7. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

Jul 24, 2010
    thanks i have really been digging love me(right in the pocket) as one song that stands out from so many great songs of his

8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Same for the song 'If There's A Hell Below', massive distorted tone!

9. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Everybody clap your hands
    Give yourself a chance
    Now you've got soul
    Everybody knows
    that it's all right, whoa
    its all right!

10. Keldur16

Keldur16

May 7, 2009
    Tallahassee Fl
    its supafly. GET IT RIGHT!!!

:D

11. corinpills

corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA
    That Curtis Live album is astoundingly good and it sounds so great- so real and in your face like you're actually in the club. That version of "We've Only Just Begun" is so amazing until they get to the bridge. I don't know what's going on there, but the rest of it is gaw-juss.

12. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    +1 On Hell Below, one of the great unknown funk expressions!