Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Curtis Novak HC SCPB Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tplyons, May 28, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    If you get one, let us know how it sounds.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, someone donate a SCPB my way and I'll let you know ;)

4. looks very cool.a little pricey though..I have a 51ri p-bass.(with an anemic sounding pup).I thought about installing a seymor 1\4 pound scpb,but this pup looks intresting.would like to hear it.

5. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    is it just my "pre coffee this morning" imagination, or does the top of that p/u look like someone used a hacksaw to cut it in half before winding the p/u? please tell me it ain't so. :help:

Then again, once it's under the p/u cover who cares what it looks like, right? And it's excellent to see that the old P bass crowd finally has a h/c option available.

R

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, ya kinda have to cut it in half. The split coil P-bass is just that, a split coil wound in opposite directions for hum cancellation. This does the same thing but are placed directly next to each other to fit the physical dimensions of a SCPB.

7. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    If this was something I was manufacturing, I would have utilized two independently made pieces ... or at least used a jig to align a single piece and then sheared it precisely in half perpendicular to the centerline of the pole pieces.

The p/u in the image just looks like someone said "good enough" to the alignment of the cut line. :meh:

R

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    After it's wrapped you can hardly tell it's been cut.

[​IMG]