1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Curtis Novak's "Fatbucker" dimensions?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by IAmACrocodile, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Hello everybody! :) :bassist:

I am considering using Curtis Novak's Fatbucker pickups in an upcoming build (an EB-3 copy with a few twists and turns of my own, as yet to be decided), and it would be a great help to have the dimensions of this pickup on hand at the design stage, so that I can make an accurate template of it and make sure that all of the proportions and the curves flow nicely.

Is there anybody who has one of these pickups and who would be willing to post the measurements here for me? I would appreciate it sincerely.

Thankyou very much in advance! :)

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would call Curtis great guy and easy to talk to.

3. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Yes, the obvious answer here is to call/email Curtis.

However, I can tell you that the Fatbucker is designed to drop right into a mudbucker route (you probably already knew this). I can also tell you that, while I don't have a Fatbucker, I do have his EB-BS BiSonic-in-a-mudbucker-disguise pickup. It did indeed drop right into a mudbucker route, although it was significantly shallower, requiring additional foam underneath.

Does that help?

4. Thankyou to both of you for your replies! :)

I have sent a quick email to Curtis, but it is very good to know that his mudbucker replacements really do fit in to a standard mudbucker route perfectly. The dimensions for a mudbucker will be pretty easy to find, I think!

Cheers,

Peter

5. Just thought that I would update this, for the sake of anyone else who is looking for this information. :)

Curtis has replied to my email (which I really appreciate, given that he is running a one-man operation!), and he says that the Fatbucker is 46mm x 66.35mm, and 26.65mm tall.

6. Old post but is that the route dimensions or the actual pickup dimensions? I need to find the route dimensions for a feller building a tele/51 p bass body for me.

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Rout it like a Gibson.
    It drops right in.

8. I don't know the Gibson route size though, trying to find that out for the builder.