Curve basses....anyone know anything about them?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SMG, Dec 18, 2002.

1. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I recently sprung for an unusual bass... The name on the headstock is "Curve" and I was told that it was made by Greg Curve who worked in the Nashville area.

It is a handmade instrument with VERY good woodworking craftsmanship. An example of the attention to detail is a 7 piece neck (bolt on) with a double laminate on the face of the headstock and four layered laminate on the back of the headstock. The body is extremely well balanced and the neck has a really nice feel to it.

One getting a great deal on an instrument like this, I have found a couple of issues with it. The preamp (unidentifiable, but with tons of wires) is squeezed into a tiny compartment (along with the battery) underneath 5 control pots, and has a couple of disconected wires. (I plan on pulling the preamp out and have ordered a new EMG system to install.) Also, the previous owner (who stated he was the second owner of the instrument) had the frets taken out and the fingerboard finished, sort of llike a Pedulla buzz.

Does anyone know anything else about this bass or the luthier who built it?

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    OK...I know a lot of you have viewed this post...any comments on the bass itself?

By chance I took the instrument to a local guy who messes with electronics and he pulled the preamp out of the tiny space that it is stuck in, figured out where the two loose wires went and reconnected them. Turns out the preamp is a Detmer. The bass sounds incredable now.

Believe it or not, there are 5 pots, a battery and the Detmer preamp under the metal control plate. Talk about crowded.

Anyway, I would still like to find info on this instrument or the person who made it if anyone knows anything.