Curved body basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Slater, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have really taken a liking to curved body basses. I plan on getting a Czech Spector when my piggy bank gets full :D .

I am already aware of Spectors, Warwicks, and even the Ibanez Doug Wimbish Sig. Oh, and I guess there's the Ibanez Ergo's too :rolleyes: .

Anyway, just out of curiosity, are there any other curved body basses that I'm not aware of, or just can't think of right now?...

If there are some others out there of decent quality, I may want to check them out.
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    What do you mean by "curved body"? There are a ton of basses that have bodies that have curves.
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I think that he is referring to the concave rears that these basses have, to fit big bellies like mine properly.

I had a Westone Pantera 5 string that had a carved top and back.
  4. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    embellisher has it right. I thought my references to Spector, "The original curved body bass" (a quote from the Spector website) and Warwick would have made that clear.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Doug Wimbish doesn't fit in there though, since it's just a souped-up Soundgear.
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I believe most, if not all, of the Brian Moore basses have contoured bodies.

And I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one F bass with that feature. I'll have to check my archive when I get home.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    greg curbow and bill conklin will both build basses with concave will dave pushic and many other guys...warrior basses have two levels of curvature-shallow and deep. the new esp has an odd curvature to it-it is concave from front to back vice top to bottom.
  8. Acacia also does curved bodies as a standard feature.
  9. basslab will take your measurements of your body and make the back designed to fit you perfectly, the ultimate in ergonomics.
  10. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    I'm a fan of curved bodies, but most of my favorites have quite convex rears.

And - then you gain/lose 10 pounds. . . ?? Hmm.

I've always thought the Spector-curve looked good in theory, never had the chance to play one however. Then again, I play with the body shifted to the right a bit anyway, I don't think it's curves would line up with mine too well . . . :)
  11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, the reason i like the curvature so much is so i can rest my arm on top of the bass and have it behind the strings a little instead of hovering right above them...did that make any sense?
  12. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I believe the Doug Wimbish does fit. I've played one, and I thought it was the best bass Ibanez has made since the Musician. However, I still like Spectors more. And, it's not available as a 5-string, which is what I'm in the market for.
  13. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'd also like to say that I'm aware of having a "curved body" bass custom made, but a custom isn't within my budget and you can't try a custom before you buy. Besides, I think Stuart Spector (with Ned Steinberger) got it right! I started this thread out of curiosity more than anything else.