1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Curved heel needs to be squared

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by dozicusmaximus, Oct 8, 2009.

1. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I don't post much. So here goes. I have a spare jazz neck and a T40 body. The T40 takes a square heel. So I am going to make my jazz neck fit.
    My experience is limited. And I dont have any tools. I am going to buy a decent handsaw and some clamps. Seems easy enough.
    Do I need to seal the neck after I cut it? :eyebrow: Or anything like that.
    I dont think I'll screw up and hit the truss rod pocket. I'm only cutting off 1/2" or less.
    Anybody have any pointers?

2. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Personally, if I were doing it, I'd take a router to the T40, and open the neck pocket up. That way, I'd not only be able to attach that spare jazz neck, but basically any fender neck.

3. +1

4. thombo

thombo Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2006
    Denver, CO
    sorry if i am stating the obvious- make sure that the nut-bridge length is correct, otherwise you'll end up an unusable instrument (when playing western music).

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Another vote for routing out the neck pocket. You're rendering a widely usable neck useless to any guitar other than a T40, which is pretty limiting.

Also, the potential for accuracy with a routed neck pocket is better than cutting a neck to fit an already shaped pocket...

6. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    That is why I want to chop the neck. There are tons of replacement Fender necks. I have found no T40 necks.
    But, I do see what you guys are saying. If I decided to put a T40 neck back on. Would the routing to the body and pickguard, mess things up?

7. I would keep looking for a T-40 neck. They pop up on Ebay about every month or two. Then you will have something you can sell more easily if you later want to get a different bass.

8. blubolt

blubolt

May 18, 2005
    Turlock, CA
    +++ 1 / Patience will totally pay off. beware the frankenbass :eek:

9. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    But I don't wanna :bawl: haha. I should probably wait. I plan on buying expensive pickups for it. So I should make sure everthing is perfect.

10. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Whether you modify the neck or the body, your scale length wil be different. you will most likely need to move the bridge reaward if you do not have enough adjustment for the intonnation. Also, the neck holes will probably need to be doweled and redrilled.

11. dozicusmaximus

dozicusmaximus

Mar 18, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Well I got lucky. A T40 neck popped up on ebay. So no need to modify anything!! :hyper:
    Thanks anyways guys.