1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale Custom ‘66 Jazz Bass Replica in Ocean Turquoise w/ Matching HS, Lollipops, Dots & Binding!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by The Bass Clef, Mar 1, 2019.

1. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Price:
    $1850
    Strings:

78C5455F-0667-46E9-A9BF-0B67AE75FA57.

Custom ‘66 Jazz Bass Replica in Ocean Turquoise w/ Matching Headstock, Lollipops, Dots & Binding!

I’m offering up this brand new Jazz Bass that I just finished building as a faithful replica of an early 1966 in Ocean Turquiose Metallic (nitro). All of the parts on this bass are made in the USA, and all the hardware is Genuine Fender American reissue (except for the lollipop tuners, which are the made in Japan by Gotoh, and they’re most vintage accurate lollipops available).

It plays absolutely wonderful with smooth, low action all across the board, no dead notes, no issues. The neck is straight and the truss rod functions fine. And it sounds incredible (the ‘74 AVRI Pickups are amazing!). Here are all the specs...
    • Body: Made in USA by Wildwood Mfg., alder, ‘60s pickup spacing. Finished in Ocean Turquoise Metallic nitrocellulose lacquer by Mark Jenny of MJT Guitars.
    • Neck: Custom-made Musikraft USA w/ all 1966 features... Beautiful dark rosewood fretboard, small vintage-size frets, pearl dots & white binding, period correct 1 7/16” heel, and matching headstock. Med/thin profile, standard Jazz 1.5” nut. Back neck of the neck is also finished in nitro with a nice yellowish tint. Correct ‘66 era Fender decal included (but not applied - I’ll let the buyer decide if they want it on there or not).
    • Hardware: Fender USA RI threaded saddle bridge, Fender “Pure Vintage” USA RI knobs, USA ‘62 RI 3-ply mint green pickguard (still has the clear film on it), USA RI “F” neck plate, tugbar, strap buttons, “hootenanny” button, string tree & chrome pickup/bridge covers. Gotoh lollipop nickel-plated tuners.
    • Electronics: Fender American Vintage ‘74 Pickups, all cloth wire throughout, brass ground plates in the P/U & control cavities. USA CTS 250K vintage style “dishpan” pots, vintage style .05uf orange “pancake” disc cap.
    • Strings: Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (.045-.100)
    • Weight: Only 8 lbs. 12 oz. with the chrome covers on (8.5 lbs. w/o the covers)!
    This bass is BRAND NEW and the body and neck were finished with MJT’s “closet clean” option. Here is how they describe it: “The cleanest finish that we offer is our Closet Clean Aged style. It is meant to replicate a played 50 to 65 year old AGED finish that has been well taken care of. It will have a very thin 100% nitro finish, and the finish will continue to age and wear with handling, parts and neck installation, and use. It WILL have very light to minimal aging/wear, and WILL include a nick or ding or two, play wear, light handling wear, polishing swirls, etc...”. This is an accurate description of this bass. Because of the thin nitro, there are a few finish checking lines. The bass looks absolutely gorgeous in person, and it will age and wear beautifully and authentically over time as you play it. *Note: My pics make it look more like a Lake Placid Blue finish, but it’s more aqua/green color in person.

A bass like this from the Fender Custom Shop would be a custom order only and would cost $5000+! Here’s your chance to get a one-of-a-kind Jazz bass in an awesome custom color w/ matching headstock for much less! Will ship in a nice Fender padded gig bag and be very well packed.

*Click on thumbnails below to enlarge*

$1850 OBO Shipped (USA)
    Paypal Accepted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  2. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    droollove that colordrool
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The Bass Clef likes this.
  3. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Here’s a video of the bass so you can hear how good it sounds. It’s just me noodling around on the bass to a drum machine. Both pickups are on full, tone knob is ~3/4 up. Amp EQ is set completely flat. Recorded with my iPad only (no preamp or recording interface)...

extreme, kamyon, Matt R and 6 others like this.
  4. maverick49

maverick49 Gold Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Southern California
    You make some beautiful basses my man. Great TBer to work with here, folks!

denton57 and The Bass Clef like this.
  5. The Bass Clef

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Thank you!

6. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

b7e7835bbc43988847e129e06ce3316e2de9762d2b6d0c2c909b607edfadae7e.

bassicg and The Bass Clef like this.
  7. That looks cool!

8. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    Beautiful! If I didn’t already have a 66 RI with blocks this same color, this would be mine.

9. braud357

braud357

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    Oh my !

10. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    She sure is purty!

11. NO_Camping4U

NO_Camping4U

Nov 4, 2014
    Doing this exact same build in Burgundy Mist - with help from you. Amazing work. If I hadn't started mine I would have bought this in a second.

12. extreme

extreme Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Very nice bass! Even that reddish color in the rosewood nails that '66 vibe. I'm sure this is a great bass and the price is really reasonable considering what it would take to accumulate the parts and put it together.

13. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    Beautiful bass.