1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom $2k PRS bass worth it?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bluez Dawg, Apr 27, 2006.

1. I am thinking of buying a custom Paul Reed Smith bass an all swamp ash neck and body. with a built in LCD for "showmen shop" would it be worth it? or just get a custom painted dragon that changes colors?

2. I think it's going to cost you a good deal more than 2K.

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    As a PRS bass owner, I'd say skip it. They're not worth the trouble. It plays great and has frustratingly awful electronics.

Are you sure on the pricing?

My PRS had a $2200 list price without any fancy wood, carving, inlays, electronics or transparent finish. Just birds would have driven the price up to almost the 3K range.

4. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    I personally can't imagine paying it, but if you dig it, do it

5. PRS bass is not a good investment unless it is the perfect bass for you, or you plan to keep it forever. How many of us do that? They aren't that desirable in the used market and therefore don't have a very high resale value.

6. I would say that depends on how much you have to spend, but I think you're trolling, so I won't say anything at all.

7. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I wouldn't buy any PRS bass ever but hey, whatever floats your boat.

8. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Played one. Not good. Nuff said.

9. LCD? troll

10. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I play PRS guitars, not their basses, but I have a lot of experience w/ PRS. I'm suprised you can talk to the custom shop for less than 5 grand.
    I could be wrong.

11. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    PRS = Creed = Dumb. IMHO.

12. What would you guys suggest for like $2k usd? I want somethign thats practical and a little flashy. Right now I own a cort artisan b4 bass, its a sexy bass indeed. but I want more tone.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    There is a 5 string les paul bass on the classifieds here. Those are flashy, but sound a far cry better than a prs bass.

14. Thanks but I want to stay at 4 strings. I am just thinking upgrade the stuff on my current bass I have now.

15. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever read.

16. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Dingwall Afterburner series...new.

Or maybe a used Z series, if you can find one.

But then you all knew I'd say that.

There's nothing flashy about the PRS. Do a search on my user name referencing the PRS and you'll find a picture or two. For reference, mine was a 2001 model that I bought new in 2003. List was 2200, and I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of 8-900 for it, and after I traded in a bunch of stuff, I paid about 200 bucks cash. It really does play nice, but has tonal issues that are pretty serious. I would guess its really a 800$ bass.

17. nonohmic

nonohmic Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    ABQ, NM.
    Have you read the thread 'Maybe it's the booze talkin'?

By the way, that was my 100th post. Pity it wasn't a bit more clever. :smug: