Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom 4 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TodaysGone, Dec 24, 2003.

1. TodaysGone

TodaysGone

Dec 14, 2003
    ok, not to sure if this is the right place to post this...but maybe someone here would know... i was wondering how to make a custom 4 string guitar like wes borlands. would i be able to just take a four string bass and restring it with a diffrent gauge wire and tune it the same way as wes's (F# F# B E) and if i can do that....what gauge wire? i want to to try this out. will someone help me out here?

2. TodaysGone

TodaysGone

Dec 14, 2003
  3. get some strings made for 7 or 8 string basses like conklin makes and then just use top 4. I think that a bass with a 35" scale and generally solid string tension would be a good idea. but other than that the only thing you would need to modify is the nut.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Conklin offers a .150 low F# but only as a seperate. $14 a piece factory direct. Check here. And probably just a .125-.130 for the B and a .105-.110 for the E. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

And you'd probably get better results asking in strings.

5. TodaysGone

TodaysGone

Dec 14, 2003
    thanks for the help. i heard from a site that he uses a .085 gauge for the low F# string. i dunno. but thanks for the help! im going to post a copy of my original post in the strings section...try to get some more ideas... i posted here 'cause i need to know what kind of body to use.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Alright, question: do you want to tune up to an F# or WAY down to an F#?

If you want to tune up an .085 will do.

If you tune down, you'll probably need about a .150.

Really don't know anything more about Wes' guitar so can't help. If you can get me some information, I could help a bit more.

7. TodaysGone

TodaysGone

Dec 14, 2003
    maybe if you heard it? the only three songs that the 4 string is played on is all by limp bizkit and the songs are Stalemate, Sour, and Nookie

8. That's a carl thompson.

EDIT

Do you mean you want to recreate the tuning he uses, or you want an instrument like his?

9. TodaysGone

TodaysGone

Dec 14, 2003
    i want to be able to recreate the sound. i want an instrument like his

10. TodaysGone

TodaysGone

Dec 14, 2003
    I THINK I FOUND IT!!! WHAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

but im not to sure, i still want some ideas 'cause i want to make this on my own

EDIT:
    would that work??