Custom 5 String Bass Builders...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LesClaypoolJR, Sep 24, 2005.

1. LesClaypoolJR

Jun 16, 2005
    DFW, Texas
    I was wondering if anyone who lived in texas did some custom bass looking for a new one and i want it to be custom.....any suggestions are welcome
  2. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I've played a couple of Skjold basses - very nice. I think he is from texass.

Dan K.
  3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    Pete is in Tx as well as Greg Yancy who does nice work....
  4. Give Pete Skjold a call. He's easy to talk to, and will help you build the bass you want.
  5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Bud Lecompte!! I am waiting on a VB5 fretless. Check him out. Lots of cool designs and he is great to work with.
  7. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Pete Skjold lives in Lewisville,Tx and does fantastic work. I have 2 of his basses and 2 on the way.
  8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    does Pete or Bud do 'custom' basses, I thought they both had set styles that could be custom optioned...

LesClaypoolJR: are you looking to get your own body style happening or custom option a builder's style?
  9. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx ma friend. I have a 6 string being made by him right now. Its close to being finished, ill post some pics when i get it. Greg is a really great guy who is also a great bass player and makes some fantastic basses. Ive played several and they are all incredibly well made and sound great as well. If you have any more questions feel free to ask or even give Greg an e-mail.
    -Greg (not the same one)
  10. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    I agree with what Greg says about Greg. Yeah. I had a Yancey 4 string for a while. Greg does awesome work and his band Opposite Day rules.
  11. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Yeah Opposite Day is awesome. You had the clone of his right but with the Aeros and the 3 band pre-amp(dont remember what kind it was) right? If you want to hear what a bass of his sounds like go to their website. The bass sounds different now because he just started making his own pickups he put them in replacement of the bartolinis in that bass which was like 4 weeks ago though. I actually just got an e-mail from Greg Yancey. Its 99% done with carving of the body and neck. Its basically extremely close to being done. Im going to go see him on wednesday and he is going to put some temporary strings on and a pickup in so i can play it. Other than the carving its pretty much done. Cant wait!!
  12. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Greg just sent me some pics but i dont know how to attach pics.
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    While Pete does offer numerous variations on his own body style themes, I think that he would consider a truely custom design, too.

My thoughts are that if you are in Texas, and anywhere near the DFW area, you really need to take a trip over to Pete's shop. He's a great guy, and an incredible luthier, IMHO.

14. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    Yes, I do, but it costs extra to work up the customer's still gets my headstock.
  15. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Im not sure if Pete would entertain a custom body style or not. I get the feeling he wouldnt, as it requires a ton more work to mock up and make new jigs and stuff. But as my bass testifies...he will do some more extreme things in the way of customizing.
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Cool! (I wasn't sure)

Lots of people say "custom" but they really mean "custom optioned"... lots of builders just make their own designs and allow for "custom optioning" as well. I'm not sure where the poster is really looking.
  17. gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Thanks. I think my band rules too. Here's a picture of Greg's bass since he seems to be having troubles with attachments:

18. greg

Jun 1, 2004
    haha thanks. Ill start a thread soon with the rest of the pics if i can figure out how to post pics....