Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom 5 string with Moses neck $450.00

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by mark beem, Feb 6, 2003.

1. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Here is the third bass Im currently selling.

This is a hand made custom 5 string bass made by an up & coming luthier out in Hawaii. This is one of his earlier models and is obvious that it is a "project" bass.. Here are the discrepancies:

**The rear electronics cover plate was cut from the mahogany body and there are some gaps along the edges. However, it does fit and does not affect playability.
    **There are a couple of small screw holes in fromt of the bridge where it was relocated. These were filled in.

Now onto the other features.

**Mahogany body
    **Flamed maple top
    **34" scale
    **Moses graphite 5 string "Wide Custom" neck
    **Single humbucking pickup
    **Aguilar preamp
    **Locking input jack
    **Flamed maple cap on headstock
    **Chrome hardware
    **Warwick deluxe gig bag.

As I said, this is a "one-off" bass. However, it plays and sounds great!! The Moses neck itself lists for $612.00. Great if someone wanted to use it for a fixer-upper, or as readily available parts for another bass. Asking $450.00. Shipping appox. $30 in continental U.S. Sorry, no trades. More pics available.

[​IMG]

2. What kind of pickup is that? How does this bass sound? Try to compare it to another bass. I'm looking for a 5 string that's cheap to tune up to "C" and I like a nice punchy tone. Thanks!

3. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You know, he told me but I really can't remember what brand it was... To the best of my memory (which I admit is not very good) I believe it's a Bart.. either a M45CBC or a similar model.. It's a dual coil design with a coil splitter.

Tonally it has a fat, punchy sound... Personally, I found the sound better for finger style playing rather than slapping or tapping. But I normally add more bass and mids and roll back off the highs when I play. The only other bass I've played that has Barts in it is my GT-7... But, I dont think I really can compare the two because the GT-7 has an ash body where this bass is mahogany. The woods will make a difference in the tone.

Hope this helps!!

4. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    What do those little switches do? Coil splitting?

Can you get a close up picture of the body to show those "discrepancies" a bit more clearly?

5. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    The switches are a dual to single coil splitter, and the other seems to be a "standby" switch which kills the output.

Sure, let me go home tonight and take some pics...

6. What methods of payment do you accept? I think I will take a chance on this bass and buy it. E-mail me the details...

negativetheory1313@yahoo.com

I'll look forward to hearing from you!!!

7. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    You've got mail!!!

8. You also have mail!

9. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    This bass has been sold!!!

10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I was wondering who got that bass. I almost went for it, "Buy it now" style.

That's a good price for that bass, folks.

11. I bought the bass. Hopefully, I will like it...

:D

12. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I wonder if this transaction was something of a TalkBass record..

From time of posting to time of sell was like one hour and thirty-eight minutes!!

13. I work fast!

Actually, I've just had a few too many things slip past me lately and when I saw something that I thought I would dig, I snatched it up!

14. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Dah! I knew I should have checked in this morning! I would love to have seen that one at the next Bass Summit, Mark! I would have liked even more for you to be delivering it to me at the next Bass Summit! Oh well. Congrats, NT, that looks to be a rather sweet bass for a very sweet price!