1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Aluminium Pick Guards

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Camdiggity, Dec 10, 2018.

1. Camdiggity

Camdiggity

Nov 30, 2014
    I always see gold coloured brushed aluminium pick guards but here and there I see a purple one. I’d love to get a purple one for a p bass but can’t find one online anywhere.

Any suggestions?

2. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Have never seen any aluminum pickguards in any colors orther than anodized black, clear (natural aluminmum) or gold.
    You could get a brushed aluminmum; have it stripped and then re-anodized any color of the rainbow.
    Doesn't Pickguardian, pickguard heaven, and pickguards.us (WD custom shop) and others do custom work; it will be pricey to have only one anodzied purple though.

bholder likes this.
  3. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Yes, like Jim C said, you can buy an anodized aluminum pickguard that fits your bass, in whatever color you can get. Then send it to an anodizing shop and have them strip it and re-anodize it in purple. Most major cities that have any manufacturing have a couple of local anodizing shops. Here in the Los Angeles area, there are a dozen of them. I usually use Mid-Valley Anodizing in Sun Valley. I don't have a lot of parts anodized, but I've had them do rack panels, machine parts, and a few pickguards and control plates over the years. Having a single pickguard done over in purple will probably cost you about $100, which is their minimum order (last I knew). Having 10 done at the same time would be about $200.

Aluminum parts to be anodized don't need to be fully polished, but they need to be smooth and have all scratches removed up to about 1000 grit. If they need to sand and prep the part for you, they're going to charge extra.

4. Camdiggity

Camdiggity

Nov 30, 2014
    Thanks for the tip Jim. I’ll look into it :)

Jim C likes this.