1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

custom amp build suggestions needed

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimbilly, Mar 30, 2009.

1. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I'm nearly ready to have my tech start on a 100w tube head. The donor chassis/box is a '69 Plush (low value, unavailable schematic), he'll strip it out, and rebuild from scratch. The chassis has two input/preamps, and a 4x6L6 output section for appx. 100w.
    So far, I've decided that one of the preamps will be based on the Mesa 400+, without the eq (I have one and I really like it w/o the eq). For versatility, I'm wondering if maybe an Alembic F2B type circuit would be right for the other channel?, -I had one of those and liked it. Maybe a 12AX7 based B15N?, -but I've got 2 B15Ns and a standalone B15N preamp already (he's going to build in an effects loop, so I should be able to use my existing B15N with that power section).
    Suggestions would be great, but they have to be some known/available schematic.
    The donor, the reverb and tremolo stuff will be pulled :

PlushP1000S.

2. cant rememebr exactly what the mesa tone stack was, but from memory it was just a fender/marshall TS, possibly with some different component values. you could do a hiwatt or a james (passive bandaxle) or something else.
    there is alot to choose from, do something more interesting, especially when you already have the standard TS. keep them in phase so you can blend the signal (maybe a switch so you can go without a jumper cable)

3. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Hey, Ive got one of those Plush amps too. These amps are supposed to be a prety close copy of a Fender Dual-Showman already. I'd consider modding just one channel to a Baxandall and go for some beefier trannys with 6550's.

4. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    MIJ-VI, thanks for the link! Mine has some pretty bad aluminum corrosion on the chassis that needs to be cleaned, so without stripping everthing out it would be hard to clean out, -my tech says that oxidation is an amazing sinus irritant and needs to go. -Another reason for a total redo.