Custom back panel and knobs for novice?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by nomorethan4, May 12, 2005.

1. nomorethan4

Apr 29, 2005
    Might pick up a 90's (no longer produced) bass missing back panel and knobs. An Ibanez ATK. Can anyone tell me options for making, purchasing replacements, McGyvering? Is there any standardization among brands and lines? Or is the knob (one of 4 on the bass I think) gone for ever? What kind of material can work as a panel or should I get a shop to do it? Thanks all.
  2. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Knobs are fairly easy to come by, provided you're not too hung up on getting the original style. has a decent collection for sale. There's also an interesting thread here on TB that talks about turning your own knobs out of wood.

As for the panel, has a tutorial on how to make one out of a plastic trash can.( It seems to me the same process could be applied to just about any material you like.

3. nomorethan4

Apr 29, 2005
    Thanks. I saw the thread about the wooden knobs. A little more effort then I am willing to put out for this beat up thing though I've been looking for one for awhile. The links should do fine though. Thanks again.
  4. But do they have a tutorial for making a whole guitar out of a trash can? Possibly adding to the scrap bass?
  5. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004
    i tried their method for back plates, yes it works with other materials, although it takes some more effort i think with other materials than plastic