1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom bass body builder??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by NickCormier, Aug 28, 2007.

1. NickCormier

NickCormier

Dec 3, 2006
    Hey, I have a MTD Kingston on the way, and altho its a neat body, I was considering maybe getting a new body made for it in a different shape and my preferred wood..

Is there any repuatible bass body builders around? And another thing that concerns me, since this is the only bass I would have at the time, if I would need to send the neck or such to route the neck pocket, thats not too ideal as I would be without the bass for awhile.. So if they would maybe be comfortable with MTD neck pockets already, thats a major plus.. elsewise its kinda scary..

But any leads is appreciated. Thanks

2. Lots of good builders. If you know me, you know I'll recommend wilser. I don't know if he'd be able to do that, but he's a great guy and a talented luthier.

There's also, Rodent, Musiclogic....ahhhh...lots more, but I can't think of the screennames, sorry guys :)

I'm sure someone'll be along soon.

:D

3. Rodent

Rodent A Killer Pickup Lineā„¢ Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Honey Badger Pickups & Regenerate Guitar Works
    you should also note that it's against the rules for a builder to post a reply soliciting your work here in TB land ... and technically they're not supposed to initiate a contact with you via PM unless you ask for them to do so.

this said - take a gander thru the many hundreds of threads here and see who's doing work you like, then drop them a PM and see if they're interested. I'd make sure that they're into what you're looking for, as you'll have a greater opportunity to make a good 'connection' with them

now about the neck, I'm thinking anybody who's going to turn out a truly pro job for you is going to need your neck for a portion (if not all) of the build process. there's a lot of critical meansurments to take upfront, and at the end you need a solid placement of the bridge and set-up so that everything is dialed in just right.

maybe it's an opportunity to see if the person you work with has a demo bass (that you'll promise to treat with the utmost respect) you could take as a loaner for the project time. if not, maybe this is your opportunity to buy that used MIM P/J as a backup while your new bass is being constructed. there's a lot that some builders will do, and definite no's that others won't cross. a good communication on this could prove worth your while

hope this helps as you start your custom body journey, and that you find the right person to make you a bass you're both proud to talk about after all the business is long done

all the best,

R

p.s. for the record - I'm closed for business until after I relocate to Charlotte, so this post is in no way a slick move to hunt down a bass job :)

4. +1 on wilser, great builder, really skilled and knowledgable

5. MN as in minnesota?

6. mn as it Matt Nola

7. NickCormier

NickCormier

Dec 3, 2006
    hm I dunno. I might try to get someone local, or maybe I'll attempt it myself with a router.. I just gotta find a place to do the shaping of the body.. Ive wanted to try building my own guitar for afew years now, just scary. But maybe I'll PM someone..

What I was hoping, to find someone whos worked with MTD kingstons before, or even has one (thats ideal) cause then they could just use their parts and make sure it fits.. Im doing that with someone custom making an Ibanez guitar for me, he has one so it should fit just like any other replacement body.

Oh well, we'l see.

8. If you fill out your profile, we may be able to help you more...say if we knew where "local" was. :D

9. Well, glad to meet ya anyhow. Matt, a nice strong name, seems settled, placed, footed in the earth. :D

10. NickCormier

NickCormier

Dec 3, 2006
    im in Canada, makes things abit more difficult unfortunately =[

Yeh, Im not a big member here, as im a 7 string guitarist normally. I just wanted to have a nice bass for some shows I plan on doing soon, where I plan to play some bass for some band. Unfortunately in music, Image is quite important, and I'd love to have a bass that people see that they just wanna go "WOW thats awesome" and something no one seen before. So I have an interesting bodyshape Im considering making.. but We'll see I guess. the MTD Kingston body isnt too bad, im sure I could live with it, after a refinish maybe

11. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Don't know what part of Canada, as it is over 4000 miles across, but if you are in the East, try contacting Robert at Godin, he might be able to help you out in your quest.

12. smakbass

smakbass Smakkin basses for 25 years..

Aug 6, 2002
    Vancouver Canada
    I dont know why you wouldnt just get a complete custom seems to me by just replacing the body with a kingston neck your not doing yourself anyfavours....