Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom bass construction.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vene-nemesis, Jun 27, 2004.

1. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    Lastly I been thinking about making my own custom bass for no mere than 2000€, I thought about 2 models both 4 strings:

A warwick corvette custom (I will apriciate information about warwick's custom shop) bolt-on with flame maple neck/fingerboard with clear peghead not the bleack warwick standart, ash body with flame maple top from AA to AAAAA depending on price (till here its like a FNA jazzman), J-J nordstrand pickups NJ4SE (I would use the mecs till i save the money for the nordstrands) and a U-retro preamp (but for this i need to know if warwick would drill the switch holes) or an aguilar obp-3 with 3 knob configuration (mid/blend treeble/bass and vol push-pull for pasives).

Or a warmoth J full ash body black pickguard maple Neck/fingerboard, black bind and inlay in the neck, leo-quan bad-ass through body strings bridge, J-J nordstrand NJ4SE, J-retro preamp, bone nut, some light frets and schaler machine heads like fender originals. the problem with this is that i just know about electronics, I dont know nothing about wood work and I have to atach (centre, drill) the neck.

Any thoughts, opinions, advises or constructive critics would be apriciated.

2. Geet the Jazz. And get Nino Valenti to make it for you. Know here ans Nino-Brown if you dont already know that.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Good luck on getting a Warwick at that price.

4. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    +1.

5. I agree, if you want a Warmoth, let Nino make one for you and it'll come out nicely. He knows what he's doing and he makes a fine bass.

6. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

I'm starting from a corvette standar bass 865€, the neck I want its around 200€ this is an availeable mod check basscentral in warwick thumb bolt-ons there is a thumb 5 with a maple neck/fingerboard, and the top its beetwen 250-500€, I dont want the mec preamp I just need a cavity big enough to set an aguilar or a U-retro (the U-retro is almost dissmissed due to the switches).

7. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

I live in Spain, I dont like the idea of a bass traveling alone by plane all across the ocean 'till here. I dont trust the people who works on mail companies.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I'll echo the Valenti option.

He does great work and I know that because I own one of his basses and have another thats almost done in the works.

He does a great job packing them too so I wouldnt worry about it getting damaged if I were you. He's great to deal with and Im sure you could set something up if you are really concerned. Maybe double boxing or something like that.

9. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The warranty is another thing that's very important for me I'm 16 years old and I dont want to gamble the few bucks I have, germany is nearest than the USA and any prob with the bass can be solved with the dealers.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I understand but thats one of the main reasons I recomend going with a Valenti. His customer service is incredible.

We talk on the phone, online, end e-mails back and forth and use PMs to communicate about the basses all the time. He's really careful to make sure that the customer is completely happy.

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    The manufacturer is not the problem here, the intermediate services such as mailing are the problem I just dont trust them.

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Fair enough. Im sure you can find some one that fits your needs in Europe.