1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Bass Delivery & UPS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slackdaddy, Jul 30, 2007.

1. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    Hello All,
    I am hoping someone here can help with this. I have a custom bass on the way via UPS. I do not have the tracking number. Do you know if UPS requires a signature for delivieries? Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It all depends if the seller specified a signature was needed. Normally, I'd say yes.

3. slackdaddy

slackdaddy

Mar 1, 2004
    Athens, GA
    Endorsing Artist: David Eden Amplifiers / Rob Wave Custom basses
    That is exactly what I was wondering. So you have to specifiy that a signature is needed. I have been trying to figure out if I should leave work to get my package or not.

4. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    New Jersey
    If he insured it for more than $500 then a signature will probably be required.

5. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    +1

I remember when Alembic shipped my Epic back to me after some factory repairs. Insured for full value ( $4K ). The UPS guy dumped it on my porch, banged on the door, and literally ran to his truck. The next day, he was back asking if I found my package and if I wouldn't mind signing the paperwork I was supposed to sign the day before. I'm sure he was relieved that I didn't screw him over for a new bass. He screwed up and I really could have taken advantage of the situation for easy but dishonest gain.

Your bass should require signature unless it is not insured at all.

6. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    If I had a custom bass coming, I would try like hell to be there when it arrives...

7. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    There's nobody home during the day at my place, so I have deliveries made to the local UPS Store. They charge me $5 for amy package received (I don't have a box there) and I get the peace of mind that someone is not going to make off with my instrument and it's in a climate controlled place instead of on a doorstep.

8. Terrik

Terrik

Jul 21, 2007
    Alamo
    ROFL..

i JUST hung up from UPS, i had the EXACT same question.

they were very polite, and told me my items would be delivered between 4pm-5pm, and yes i would have to sign.

i did need the tracking number, however. so i would recommend obtaining it from the shipper.

9. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    I wouldn't count on that 'between 4 and 5' statement. If it is Standard Ground Service, its anybody's guess when (if) it will arrive...

10. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Sometimes you're the dog, sometimes the tree Gold Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Palm Coast, FL
    When I received my Ken Lawrence Brase 5 ($4500 bass), a signature was "required" but I was unable to be there. They dumped it on the porch and left. The kicker is that I live on a busy street and it was still there when I got home!

That is the same company that delivered a wireless router I bought to the wrong street number, the wrong street, and, finally, the wrong town! At least they got the STATE right!

Dan K.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Sadowsky uses Fed-Ex Ground. I've used them a few times to move my
    4k+ Sadowsky across country with no problems.

About your problem, I'd contact UPS and get more information.

12. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    To follow this thing as it makes its way to you, the first thing you need is the Tracking Number. Then you can track it on their website, right up until the status says 'Out For Delivery'. When you see that, HEAD FOR HOME (or stay home). If you absolutely cannot be home and a signature is required, their website will at least tell you who signed for it in your absence and then you can track them down. Another possibility (this depends on the individual driver) is that you will play tag with him for three days and then it gets sent back to its origin. I've been thru this MANY TIMES WITH ALL of the major carriers. If it is important/expensive, its worth taking a day off from work to receive it. The bottom line, regardless of what they may tell you is: THEY DON'T CARE. And, don't be afraid to call and scream at them. I have had them send the driver BACK OUT to my place in the same day when the driver was too lazy or stupid to make the delivery. Specifically, there have been cases (several) where the driver put a note on the website saying 'recipient not home, will retry next business day' when IN FACT, I had been there specifically WAITING FOR THEM. They never even BOTHERED to come to my door. I'm sorry, but this is a sore spot with me. Dude, good luck with that whole thing...

13. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    +1 All good advice, but you need to call whoever sent the bass to get the tracking number. They will have it. A lot of people would Email it to you as a matter of course.

14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    You are not alone in such a pleasant experience.

WARNING and our encounters:
    If the shipper indicated "Residential" instead of business....all the carriers have a strong tendency to just leave the stuff wherever is convenient. There is even very fine print somewhere indicating that(found during eBay shipping research). We have found boxes on our porch, boxes in our "spare" vehicle(parked in the sun!), boxes left leaning against a door, and boxes on the lawn. Wifey got some dishes left in boxes in the rain....nice. Since a couple of the above incidents, ALL...and ALL musical gear gets shipped to either wifey's work or mine to be signed for.

That "Honk the horn and toss it out the truck" stuff got old.

Contact the shipper, get a tracking number, ask if they shipped to a residence or business, and if signature was required. Good luck!

15. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I think it would be interesting to have a "black box" recorder with a bass sized box, and secretly record the G's and impacts that the box is subjected too for each carrier just to see who is the safest.

I think Fedex would win. They also for me are far cheaper. Oh well.