1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom bass! I finally ordered one, took the plunge!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Owl, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Here are the specs:

Unicornbass

Unicornbass Artist Master 3200 5-string
    - Set neck.
    - 32", 24 frets.
    - Mahogany body.
    - Bookmatched Koa top with matching headstock.
    - Quartersawn Maple neck with Purpleheart laminations.
    - Rosewood fretboard.
    - 2-piece bridge (in the style of Alembic/Warwick), 18 mm spacing.
    - Quad mk. II-pickups. (basically ceramic blade pickups with 3 selectable coil combinations on each pickup).
    - Trinity Quad-preamp (4-band).
    - Black accent veneer between body and top wood.
    - Black hardware with gold bridge saddles for accent.
    - Koa ramp between pickups.

Pickups and preamp are his own collaborative design with an engineer friend, as well as the strings.

Need I say I'm pretty excited? :hyper::hyper::hyper:

Imagine this bass, but with a top in koa covering the whole body and wider spacing, and it's pretty close to how my bass will look, same body shape:
    samuni.

This has been my dream since I started playing 13 years ago.

2. calgone47

calgone47

Dec 25, 2006
    Hampton, VA
    Congratulations! Make sure to update us with pics! Do you know the wait time?

3. Aprx 6 months, could be less, could be more, it depends on his work load.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Cool- very Alembic-y. Did you get the chance to play one in person with the two-piece bridge? A lot of Alembics had neck dive problems due to the short upper horns and the two-piece bridge that pushed the neck out further- it's one of the reasons they came up with the Balance K design (longer upper horn).

5. Actually no - but all of his basses I have played haven't had any balance issues. I'm confident my bass will be no different :D

In this case the two piece bridge won't affect construction, i.e. the neck won't be further out because of it. just imagine the bass on the picture with a tailpiece at the end of the body.

Oh, and for those who doubt that a 32" can't have a good B-string:

Bassic series (bolt-on):

6. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    Neck dive??
    Didnt you sell your Thumb NT to finance this bass Samuel??
    Just jokin.
    Real men dont get neck dive,only their little sisters.
    Ok,I'll stop now.

7. And I had no problem with neck dive on that. I'm a big guy :D

8. humpy thumb

humpy thumb

Jul 23, 2005
    Sydney Australia
    Warwick bass forum moderator.
    But not too big to wear fluffy jumpers that mummy knitted huh.
    haha.

9. Actually that was dyed from the blood of enemies I've crushed. But more truthfully I bought it at a store. It's my favorite shirt.

Getting quite off topic here, back to topic!

This bass will be a showroom piece at music fairs!

10. What's with the "finally" baloney?

Twiggy is getting a custom stablemate :ninja:

11. Ok, I don't understand what you mean, but I have been trying to get this started since April...

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i wouldn't be surprised if downunderwonder doesn't have you confused with user "the owl" from atlanta.

13. Oh, right, that has happened before. Too bad you can't see the "_" in my username. Sorry for the report, I actually thought he was making fun of me:D

14. Man, I saw these basses a few months back and the tone blew me away! The obviously borrowed a few style cues from Alembic but I actually like the tone of these better, lol. I'm noticing more and more awesome boutiques coming from across the pond. Both of my current basses and my amp come from Europe and my projected next bass is from Europe as well. If the value of the $USD decides to not suck and I decide to order a custom bass (which is years if not decades off) it's probably gonna come from over there.

Congratulations on your first custom, I'm sure you'll love it :).

15. Thanks! I consider Christian to be among the top luthiers in the world. The attention to detail and his knowledge of how to select wood is a joy to watch.

16. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. we actually oughta probably do something about that. maybe you oughta put "Not The Owl" in your sig, and i'll have phil but "Not The_Owl" in his. :D

17. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, and btw, that's a pretty fantastic looking instrument :) congrats.

18. Thanks! It will be a hard wait, but worth every minute.

19. I'll look forward to seeing some progress pics! Congrats!

20. Here is Christian's build-blog: Blog!
    My bass might start making appearances in the future, right now it's focused on his Bassic Series.