1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom bass ideas

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djole94hns, Oct 24, 2013.

1. djole94hns

djole94hns

Oct 24, 2013
    Hello there!
    Im new to the forum, and new to the bass too :) I recently started to play bass, and It's going pretty well... I currently own Yamaha RBX 270L, its not too bad for the price :bassist:
    I plan in the near future, when I master at least some basics of bass and learn to play a better, to get a custom bass. I found a guy who makes bass bodies and necks in my city for any design you want, from any material you want, and all you need to supply are electronics (pickups, preamp...).
    I already decided for maple neck and rosewood fretboard (I know, pretty standard stuff), but body material and design, pickups and preamp, I still dont know. I want to hear your ideas for those, because I am not that experienced in bass after all.
    So, which:
    Body design (not too out of the box)
    Body material
    Pickups (prefferably split P style, but anything goes. Not too pricy)
    Preamp
    and whatever else goes as far as electronic components, I am not much informed about that stuff :)

EDIT:
    I know I am probably going a bit too far with this, but hey, Its good to stay optimistic :)

2. It's really hard to answer your question without more info.
    What sort of sound are you wanting, all choices you make are going to affect the sounds end result.
    Are you playing metal, Gospel, Country?

The only thing I could say is go forth and try MANY basses. Especially if you are new to bass & don't really know what you want. Go out & find out what you want.

Just wondering, there are a heap of really nice basses out there, why do you want a custom? Can you not find a bass that suits your needs? I would generally think a custom bass would be for more experienced players that know what they want but can't find it exactly. Not a beginner that doesn't really know what they want.

Not wanting to sound mean, just there are a lot of really nice non custom basses out there cheaper

3. amerbs38

amerbs38 Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2012
    Santa Cruz, CA
    I think the obvious answer is to play for a long enough time to know what you like. Everybody`s different. You don`t want to pay for stuff you end up not caring about like some rare exotic wood or a back-up camera or something.

4. djole94hns

djole94hns

Oct 24, 2013
    Thanks for the replies, I appriciate your observations. Yes, you are indeed right. I should get to know what suits me before I go out and look for one. I just thought it would be cool to build a unique bass, thats pretty much it :) And Jason Wilson, you dont sound mean, you are just telling the truth. And for now I like that blues feel as far as sound is concerned, but who knows, I might encounter something that suits me better :D Thanks again!

5. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Banned

May 9, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    Plexiglass fishtank bass with real fish inside.

6. As an idea, there are a few threads on here (will need to do a search) that talk about dream basses and TB members list a whole lot of different manufacturers. You can then search for them on the web and on youtube for reviews & hear how they sound.

But nothing will beat actually getting your hands on a heap of basses. They all feel & sounds totally different & a bass I love you may hate etc.

This is the bass players equivalent of a woman buying a new outfit & shoes. It should be fun, you get to go and try heaps of lovely basses to find one that really speaks to you.

Good luck!! :p

7. djole94hns

djole94hns

Oct 24, 2013
    Heh, that would be rather difficult, what with needing water cleaners and steady stream of air :p

Thanks, good metaphor btw :smug: