Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Bass Necks

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by witness, Jan 2, 2003.

1. witness

witness Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Arizona
    Does anyone know where I can get a custom bass neck made, I have a Washburn XB925 and would like to replace the neck with something different than the one that's on there now. Thanks,

Roc

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    greg curbow will build you one, i'm sure. he built a neck for a ripley bass a few months ago. it will probably cost more than your bass, though.

3. I would go through the most common channels -- Moses Graphite, and Status Graphite. Carvin, Warmoth, and Custom Guitars also make necks.

4. Curbow

Curbow

Aug 1, 2002
    I'm Game!
    Let me give you a Quote!
    Greg Curbow
    www.curbow.com

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Sweet! Thanks Greg for your input.

Gotta love Luthiers like these :)

Greg, I never had a chacne to play your Curbow basses.. I would like to whenever I have a chance!

Keep bassin guys!

DM

6. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    That Ripley that neptoon mentioned was mine. While the neck certainly wasn't cheap, it was more than worth it. Everytime I pick up the bass, I'm glad I had Greg do the Rockwood neck - can't really describe it, but it's just amazing.

Here's a link on the Curbow site:
    http://www.curbow.com/Mods/Modifications.htm

I also liked it so much, I went and ordered a whole bass from him...I think Jason, Mike and I may have to take a trip to Georgia and take Greg's computer away from him though! :D

7. Not me--I'd love to see Greg online more, 'cause he's great to deal with and has lots of experience to contribute. I also think it's cool that he's willing to consider all kinds of off-the-wall projects.

I do want him to finish my bass, though. :)

Mike

8. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Yeah Mike, I'm not knocking Greg for being online. I also like him here. He does amazing work and is open to almost anything you ask him to build.

It was more of an inside joke that the three of us would get ;) (Guess 3 people may be a bit *too* inside for a forum with thousands, huh?)

9. Okie dokie, I know what you mean. :) Actually, I'm hoping that the fact he's popping in here means that he's making lots of progress on our basses and is starting to look for something else to do. ;)

(Greg, if you're reading this, we're just giving you a hard time because we like you!)

Mike

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    man...greg rules...i'm still wanting to have a pair of basses built with custom body shapes which he was all over building. still waiting to re-enlist! :D

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Chris Stambaugh might be able to help out, as he makes replacement parts in addition to custom basses. Contact Dan Lenard at the Luthiers Access Group for more information.

12. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    If the Curbow doesn't work out you should check out the Moses graphite necks. They really play and sound great! Good workmanship and great to deal with also.:)

13. Curbow

Curbow

Aug 1, 2002
    Hey!, I Love You Guys...
    Gotta Go Though, I've Got LOTS of Work To Do!
    Greg........:)

14. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    how's mike's singlecut going? ready by NAMM right? hee hee just screwin' with ya, man