1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom bass ordered-the wait begins!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Todd GT5, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Hey TBr's,
    I'm excited to report that I've finally ordered my next "Graphite Guitar Systems" 5 string bass. It will be a flame maple top with possibly a cocoa burst paint scheme, set neck graphite neck and Nordstrand Big Splits-passive VVT.

It will be the same shape body and neck(except set instead of bolt-on) as my current bass, with a possible arm relief added.

Picture014.

The wait begins - Todd

Matt R likes this.
  2. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Cool! What will the body wood be (underneath the maple top)? Any more/larger pictures of your current bass? I don't know this builder and didn't see much through a quick Google search.

3. Yes, the body will be mahogany. Graphite Guitar Systems is owned and ran by my brother Jerry Dorsch, one of the co-founders of Modulus. He still builds custom order instruments and he does finish work for other builders including Mike Lull. Here's some more pictures of my current bass and my old guitar.

-Todd

Picture011.

Picture018.

GGSguitarincase.

GGSguitarbackatangleneckend.

4. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow, very nice!

5. tds2277

tds2277

May 18, 2011
    Maricopa , AZ
    Is there a website for Graphite Guitar Systems, so I can see some more of these Basses?

6. Right now GGS doesn't have a website. Jerry plans on setting one up in the future. He's been so busy doing finish work and other supportive work for other manufactures, he's been hesitant to over extend himself. He is planning on moving towards building more instruments in the future. I'll see if I can get some pictures from him for now and post them here. I will post pictures of my new bass when it's done too.

-Todd

7. enjoi1018

enjoi1018 Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Auburn, AL
    Looks really interesting! I had no idea anyone other than Modulus and Zon were making carbon basses. Keep the info a'comin'!

8. I just got an update from Jerry. The neck is done and he's waiting for the Nordstrand Big Splits to arrive before routing the body.

I can't wait!

-Todd

9. Jerry said the bass was going into the spray booth yesterday. BTW, I went with a Zon's Guitar's "Phenolwood" Freyboard.

-Todd

10. Dig that battery cover. It's those little touches like that,that gets me. Nice.

11. I talked to Jerry yesterday and got an update on my new bass. The bass is in the final finishing stages and all of the hardware, pick-ups and electronics are on hand. I'm thinking I should be getting it the week after next.

I can't wait! - Todd

12. this thread has a serious lack of pictures, you should tell your bro to take pics and send them to you ;)

13. Joeyl,
    I hear you! I've asked him to take some progress pictures, but he hasn't. He's really busy and not much of a computer guy. I'll have to sick his son(who lives near him) on him to take progress pics in the future, especially after he sets up his website.

I'll post lots of pictures when I get it!

-Todd