Custom bass owners: how attached are you to your bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Mar 18, 2006.

1. I designed my FBB from the ground up with the help of Matt Schmill, providing him with the specs I desired and trusting his eyes and his hands to give me the bass of my dreams. It arrived in February 2002 and almost instantly I bonded with it; it has been everything I've ever wanted and more. It's followed me from Ithaca to Chicagoland to Los Angeles and I've touched the truss rod once in that time. I have gone through musical floods and droughts with it, but I have never lost the simple and wonderful pleasure of feeling it vibrate with incredible sustain against my chest as I pluck its strings.

Does anyone else have this kind of attachment to a custom instrument? Perhaps it's the knowledge that my bass is completely unique--unless something has changed, Schmill is still drawing every template by hand, according to the pattern of the grain of the top--but I can't help but think that this kind of attachment is something that I could never develop with a bass of which fifty exact copies are hanging in music stores around the country.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Zon and Nordstrand weren't even ordered by my, they were somebody elses customs.

But I feel a similar attachment to both of them. I can't imagine another bass being as comfortable and feeling like 'home'.

The thought of anything happening to either of them crushes me.
  3. I own a piccolo bass designed and made by a local (San Diego) luthier. While I did not design it, I did decide to have this wacky instrument (5 string piccolo, techically a 5 string tenor since I do tune it A-D-G-C-F). The product I ended up with exceeded my expectations. While I cannot use such a unique instrument in many, if not most, situations within a band, I do love this thing. Being able to sit down and have something made for me with my wacky idea sounding great is enough for me. I doubt I will ever sell it.
  4. JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    I own a couple of customs, but one is very special to me. It's a frankenjazz with a fender japan body, curbow neck (with a fender shaped headstock!), 2-tek bridge etc etc... anyway, it's a one of a kind to say the least, and I've been through sooo much with this instrument and love it more than any other material thing. But **** does happen, and since there's always a possibility of it getting completely destroyed somehow I just remind myself that there's a world full of wonderful instruments out there... and the sound is mainly in the head/hands/soul of the musician.
  5. JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    wow, you can't even write **** here? censorship sucks :\
  6. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    My custom Buzzard bass is the first "high dollar", custom instrument I have owned. For the first time in my life I have an instrument that is simply a work of art. It's the best playing and sounding bass I have ever been fortunate to own/play and I take some pretty lengthy steps to really treat it well.

I would do just about anything to ensure this instrument stays with me...:smug:

Thanks again Jamie (Count_Funkula) Goodman, for the immaculate craftsmanship and work!!
  7. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I think if you have a nice custom , you would attach yourself to your bass with a nice leather strap:D
  8. thedoctor

Jun 20, 2005
    My custom wenge-necked (more like a 2 by 4) 5-string is the only bass that puts me in my own private place while I play. I close my eyes, lean back and become one with the round-wounds. My fingerprints become a hoarse chorus behind the main bass line. I seem to disappear. That must be love. However, if I had to lose all of my basses except one I would have to keep the old EB-O. I would be terrified to go on stage without it. The only thing custom about it is the wear and tear. Go figure.
  9. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I usually don't get attached to any material objects, however, I have a crush on my F Bass BN6 and my Zon Vinny (both custom ordered by me). The reason is that I imagined what they would play and feel like, and when they came in they met exceeded my expectations. You could put my Valenti in that same class.

The only bass I can NEVER sell is my Peavey Palaedium. My wife and I had just gotten together (1992-93), and were driving by Daddy's Junky Music in Salem, NH. I spotted the store, and asked if we could pull over. Walked into the store and me, being a HUGE Jeff Berlin disciple at the time, had to have the Palaedium. We didn't have that much money back then, but she encouraged me to get it anyway. Yep, they're both keepers. The Peavey is the longest I've ever had a bass (and ever will)... ditto for my wife.
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
  11. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    "wow, you can't even write **** here? censorship sucks :\"

I disagree. I think that in general, expletetives are used to &*&^%$# often! :)
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Nah, A bass is a bass. I've owned so many great basses over the years. I regret selling a coupleof them only cause I could get alot more money now then when I sold them but that's about it.
  13. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    for me it doesn't matter if it's a custom or not... my Carvin is a somewhat custom order, but i didn't make it. i still love it the same and it would suck to have to part with it. it doesn't matter if it's a $50 bass or a $5000 bass, each bass has a different feel to it. for example, the week i got my Carvin i still insisted on playing the Squier Jazz at church for some of the service.
  14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Same with me. As much as I might love an instrument, I'm not that attached to them. My only attachments are the personal ones because my wife bought them for me- not because of the instruments themselves, and I've had some nice basses. I only regret not selling some of them at a higher price that I could have gotten.

That's not to say that I don't freak out when one of them almost gets a ding or gets bumped into.
  15. [​IMG]

The bass - Nexus Freak Horn - it was designed by luthier Jacek Kobylski -, with my suggestions (shape, look of the top, sound).
    Man, that bass i soooooooooo cool. I mean, i paid some money ;} for it, but it's worth more than all the gold from fort Knox to me :>.
  16. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Cool bass. Not too sure about the hat though.:D
  17. The only decent (and even that's a stretch) gig photo I have of myself with my FBB:

18. Depends on the Bass.My Elrick,you could'nt even pry it from My cold,dead hands.However,some of the others,I like em but, sometimes the magic fades and I move on.But, I believe I will run accross some keepers that I will grow attached to.
  19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Please read the Forum Rules before posting again. Thanks!:)
  20. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    There is something just great about having a bass that is different to any other. This...

[​IMG] the nearest I have yet found to being my perfect bass. No bass does everything, I know, but if I could only have one it would be this one.

Digging in a bit

For those few of you who haven't seen it before, details...
    Warmoth Alder body, turqoise dye flame maple top
    Status graphite neck (no dots!)
    BAII, Schallers
    Nordstrand NJ4SEs

I just HAD to post it again. And BTW, gold hardware rules. Just ask Munji. :bag: