Custom Bass owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jomahu, Jan 26, 2009.

1. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    what's the one thing you love MOST about your custom bass(es)?

and "everything" is not an option.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    Im not an owner, but IMHO the thing I would like most would be the fact Im the ONLY one with that bass.

Period.

3. WRXbase

WRXbase

Jan 14, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    For me (aspiring custom owner) it's going to be the fact that I and I alone chose the woods for the axe and that it's not just another Swamp Ash, Maple neck cookie-cutter bass.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    That's definitely a cool aspect of having a custom bass. But to me, the point of having a bass built completely to your specs means being able to combine all the aspects of other basses that you like into an instrument that is perfect for you.

My basses aren't everyone's cup of tea, but they are exactly what I wanted.

StammieII008.jpg

5. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    I like em. A lot.

6. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    ok lemme clarify:

is it the tone? the wood? the volume control knob that came all the way from madagascar in the belly of a puppy?

7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Inactive Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    What I really love: Quality of construction, that everything is the way *I* wanted it

What I'm not so crazy about: Not knowing how it will play or sound until I get it

8. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    how are you defining custom?
    most people stick a new scratchplate and a new set of pickups in a bass and call it custom or they get it custom painted etc

if your on about scratch built mucho expensive bass's i'm afraid i dont have any however i do have a frankenbass with custom paintwork :p

9. jazz-e-j

jazz-e-j

Mar 24, 2006
    los angeles, ca
    for me its having the pickups I like(nordy-singles) an Aggie pre obp-2, blocks and binding, hipshot tuners, badass V bridge, unique pickguard, and 21 frets!! So the "one thing" i like about it is that i dont have to wish i had it!! its built by a guy out in Hollywood.

10. You're buying much more than something that looks good. Sure, there are frills.

Like BigO stated, it's all about getting the bass that's made for YOU and to your exact specs, which can often incorporate ideas and concepts that simply aren't available in the stock form.

All basses will make that bumpy sound, but there's more to bass than just the sound. As a whole, luthiers earn their keep by selling stuff that plays pretty easily. The fret to fret and string to string consistency is often much better. It's hard to compete with the low B on a boutique bass. Then when ya factor in that you can get it all AND be 3-4lbs lighter than many stock basses, what's not to love?

11. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    If I had to pick one aspect, it would be the feel - the ergonomics if you will.

That would be followed very closely by tone and after that by looks.

12. I love the neck of my bass, the neck and fretboard. They're gorgeous and smooth as silk.

CIMG0493.jpg
    CIMG0479.jpg
    CIMG0481.jpg
    CIMG0490.jpg
    ValentiJ5-1.jpg

13. J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    PA
    And the wood from Madagascar taken from the belly of a puppy.

But Im just stating the obvious.

14. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Thanks. They are out of the norm so I don't expect everyone to feel the same way, but I'm very happy with them.

15. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    The thing I love the most is that it was built for ME!! I have other basses now, and I don't play my Moye Custom very much, but Stuart Moye built that bass specifically for me...that's pretty cool! I'll NEVER get rid of it!

16. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Tone and feel.

It sounds how I wanted it to, and it feels like I wanted it to--yeah.

17. Clammy

Clammy

Nov 3, 2008
    Ottawa, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Neal Moser Guitars, DR Strings
    Hard to pick one thing about my Moser Custom Shop Arachnid Ultra, but if I am forced to, it's the neck. Completely built to my specs (just like the rest of the bass), and MCS NAILED it (just like the rest of the bass! :D )!!!

ArachnidULTRAFull.gif

Cheers!

18. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Everyone has slightly different tastes, so it's nice to be able to get something that exactly suits your individual tastes, instead of just settling for something off the shelf.

19. ezrs

ezrs

Sep 24, 2008
    to have the builders idea of a bass and my idea of the perfect bass combine to make something wholly different that is more than the sum of its parts
    thats what its all about!

20. +1

Plus it's also nice to have options of what pickups or preamps you may want instead of getting a bass and having to mod it later on. And custom builders seem to pay more attention to detail.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021