1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Bass Pickups - What to do?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Metropolis_488, Feb 17, 2008.

1. OK, so I am having Cliff Bordwell build me a new 4 string Ball Bass. I currently have Aero Type 1 J's scheduled for installation. My rational is that if I ever want to change tone, J's are an easy format with lots of options.

Well here is my problem. I already have a vintage sounding bass with my Darkstar loaded P-bass. So, I am thinking about doing a more modern sound. I had a Stingray, loved the tone, hated the neck (I like J-shapes, sorry), and the true-oil finish didn't work for me as my hands sweat when I play. Also, I hated how the notes were very unbalanced from string to string and throughout the neck. But, like I said, I loved the tone, and have heard that many aftermarket MM pickups are more balanced. Thus, I am thinking about installing one or two Music Man style pickups in the bass. I did have a Warmoth DIYer that I built a couple of years ago - I tried both the Alnico and the Ceramic Duncan MM pickups in it and preferred the ceramics - tighter bottom.

The bass Cliff is building for me has a Swamp Ash Body, Flamed Maple top, Maple Neck with a Maple Board.

So, the question is:
    1) Do I stay with the Aero Jazz Pickups
    2) Go with one MM pickup
    3) Go with Two MM pickups

Also, if I go with the MM pickups, which one? I was thinking about a nordstand quad coil - looking for that ultra clear, Wal sound.

Any advise would be great.

2. CapeBass

CapeBass Guest

I'd go with SD Quarter Pounders or Hot Jazz pickups if it were mine.

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Stick with your first guess and don't second guess yourself.