Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Bass pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 5s_tring freak, Oct 22, 2001.

1. I am considering having a bass built for me (my own design), and I want it to sound really punchy and to cut thru really well.

I may appear to be ignorant, but can anyone tell my what pickups are in MM Stingrays and Sterlings?

Also, does anyone have any sugestions on what other pickups can give me the desired sound?

Cheers,
    Rhys.

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    musicman stingrays and sterlings have a musicman pickup in it, you can't buy them anywhere else. A few other companies have tried to make copies (basslines) but it doesn't sound quite the same. They are a triple coil humbucking bass pickup, with a phat sound. I love mine to death. Ive never heard a bass that was as punchy and cut though as well as a stingray. My buddy just got a new bass with EMH Hz's in it and they sound great. I have sum EMG's in my spector and i would highly rocomend them. Pickups are a hard thing to get the sound cuz any pickup will sound different in any bass. I'd say go somewhere, where u can check out alot, but def check out sum EMG's or a Musicman.

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    The MM Stingray has a MM Dual Coil Exposed Pole Humbucker.

The MM Sterling has a MM Triple Coil Exposed Pole switchable Humbucker.

In my opinion you can get the same kind of sound and even better with the Seymour Duncan Basslines MM replacement PUps