Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Bass Project, opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hoon, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Hi guys, since you guys are the pros and have been very helpful and friendly so far, I was hoping to get your opinions and comments about my custom bass project before i start making orders.

Body : 1-piece swamp ash, musiclander shape(not sure if that affects sound)

Neck : 13 deg angled, wenge neck, ebony fretboard, probably medium jumbo frets, 24 frets, bolt on

Pups : Basslines musicmans, placing one near bridge and the other near neck, pretty wide apart to give myself that zone thing between them, haven't decided on passive or active, or do i not have a choice?

Bridge : probably it will be a Gotoh 206 4 string with the body thru or bridge stringing option

So what are your opinions guys? Did i miss anything important? I'm planning on having the body transparent white with black hardware. Looking forward to comments, criticism and so forth. Thanks.

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I like the shape, I like the neck specs and the Gotoh bridge; drill the body for stringthru and see if it sounds better to you. The finish is a matter of taste, so I won't comment, but it could look good. My suggestion for the tuners would be the Schaller BM Lites or the Hipshot Ultralites because the wenge neck and shortish upper horn could make it a bit neck heavy, especially a Warmoth neck with the steel rod.

I'm not a fan of swamp ash myself, and I can't say why exactly, just doesn't do it for me. Maybe Northern hard Ash would be more to 'my' tastes, or walnut or.......

The twin MM's sound good too, and I now have a pair of Barts for a project myself. In initial planning they're positioned similarly, setup with full coil splitting options and one of my own design active preamps. The trouble with the SD's might be with the neck pup, the rod polepieces won't be under the strings. Whether it'll be an issue in practice I don't know.

Good luck with it.

3. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    i just started mine the other day it is in the ns2000 shape and it is goin to have a jazz pickup neck and a MM bridge but it aint goin to be easy

i agree with the neck and body though good luck
    it wont be easy

4. Dharmabass - Thanks for bringing up the tuners and the neck pup issue, I didn't forsee that, are you gonna customise your pups to fit it?

flea claypool - Interesting nick haha, thanks for the reply as well, how would your J/MM setup sound as compared to a MM/MM?

Anyone ever tried a P/MM? wonder how that would work, just a random thought.

5. One piece swamp ash very good...This is what I'm going to do with my F......

Vince

6. I had a 5 string P/MM that i had built by Fred Marotta at Naked Guitars. Old school p-bass style alder body, tort pickguard, bird's eye maple neck, rosewood board. it was all passive all wired wide open with only one volume knob. that's it.. Basslines MM pup and a Bartolini P pup.. wish i never traded it..
    :bawl:

7. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The Barts use bar magnets so string spacing isn't an issue.
    Using the coil tap options, one of the MM's single coils should give 'J' like sound I'm hoping.

8. Reverend G-Money - No offence, but that sounds like a really nice bass, hmm, yeah, sounds like a P/MM might work out fine afterall

Dharmabass - Oh, that explains the lack of exposed pole pieces, I originally wanted bart's, however there aren't any bart dealers in the whole country and it seems that the only place I can order them online that ship to Singapore is bestbassgear.com, still I might consider it

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments so far guys.

9. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's going to be pretty bright sounding.

24 frets and 2 MM pickups might be crowded. Make sure you leave yourself enough room on the body for slapping and popping, if that's what you do.

I don't like the Basslines MM pickup, but that's just me. It won't do anything remotely Fender-like.

10. Could anyone kinda tell me the tonal differences between a p and mm pup then? I'm playing with the idea now of one or the other, or one of each. :eyebrow:

11. It appears now I can't get my dream musiclander shape, so, I'm sure there are other musiclander fans out there, what do you guys get as an alternative?

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Sonic comparisons of pickups are always subjective, so it behooves you to listen to the two for yourself to see which one you like better.

Generally speaking, the P pickup has a thumpy, old-school sound, with an emphasis on the low mids (200-400Hz). It's the classic sound found on a lot of early Motown recordings, since a P was James Jamerson's primary axe. Disadvantages: not much high end or high mids, and therefore can sound sort of hollow. If you're playing with another mid-heavy instrument, like a guitarist with a distorted Les Paul, it might get covered up.

MM style pickups generally are much brighter than either Ps or Js, though the amount of brightness depends on whether they're wired in series (less bright) or parallel (more bright). They tend to emphasize the upper mids (600-1000 Hz), and can thus sound a little harsh without some EQing. The advantage is that they're high output, and they emphasize frequencies that won't get lost among other instruments.

13. so chris, if you don't mind me calling you that, the p/mm might not cover each other too well if i really wanted versatility in tone?