Custom bass project-woods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Deano Destructo, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I currently trying to assemble some ideas on what type of woods I'd like to use on my custom project as of right now I'm thinking about cocobolo front and back with walnut sandwiched in between, walnut and wenge "racing stripes" and a wenge center block W/ bubinga neck and ebony fingerboard. Any potential problems sonically or visually that anyone can see?:confused:
  2. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77 Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Portland, OR
    Only thing I would change is go for a maple neck with a walnut stripe and ebony fretboard.
  3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    Lots of sites that offer interesting discourse on the appearance and sound (can-of-worms alert!) of various woods. I particularly like Alembic's and Warmoth's websites. They might give you an idea of the pros & cons of those various species...though it might be tough to find reference to the specific combination you have in mind.
  4. pfox14

Dec 22, 2013
    Cocobolo is a hard heavy wood, so I would be concerned about weight. However, it makes really nice looking fingerboards.
  5. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid

+1. Cocobolo is heavy. Walnut can be, too. I'd consider chambering.

Other than that, rock on with the cocobolo![​IMG]
    A little inspiration. This is currently on my workbench.
  6. ffutterman

ffutterman Talentless Bass Enthusiast

May 7, 2010
    You could also throw some poplar into the body if there are weight concerns. I've got a custom with poplar sandwiched between a walnut front and back, and it's light as a feather.
  7. Walnut is a good body wood. Nice articulate mids with bright highs and controlled lows.

Wenge is a good suppliment to maple as a neck wood too.