1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom Bass Project

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ninefingerbass, Jun 10, 2007.

1. So here I have specs to my new bass that will begin on Monday. I have planned this out and have spoken to quite a few luthiers and received a go from one. Should be ready in 4 months. I'll have progress pics as the weeks go by. The following is my new custom;

- 6 string
    - 35" scale length
    - 5 pc. Walnut/ Maple/ Purpleheart/ Maple/ Walnut Through body neck
    - Maccassar Ebony fretboard, Pick up covers and Bridge
    - 28 stainless steel frets
    - Arched solid Lacewood Body with matching front
    - Walnut Knobs
    - Dual 2-way truss rods adjust at head
    - Walnut trussrod cover
    - RSI 4-way adjustable bridge
    - Brass nut, bridge saddles and sustain block
    - Gold Hardware
    Gotoh tuners
    Dunlop flush mount strap holder
    - RSI passive 4 wire humbuckers with 3 way mini switch for each
    ( this allows you to choose between in phase or out of phase humbucker or single coil operation for each pick up)
    - 3 band active E.Q. with active bypass switch and passive tone control (Duncan Preamp)
    ( this will give you a layout like this: master volume / pick up blend/ bass/ treble/ mid/ passive tone/ 2 pick up switches and an active-passive by pass switch)
    a total of 6 knobs and 3 switches.
    Doing your controls like this will give you an almost infinite number of tonal options.
    - natural satin clear
    - Fitted hard shell case

Special Features:

No inlay (pearl side dots)
    single cutaway
    fretboard (special design) more or less i am having a Cort look to it.
    18 volt flip up battery box* I would recommend doing a cavity with a Lacewood cover.

Let me know what you think, I have designed the bass myself. For the head I have rounded it more to fit with the curves of the bass itself.

Attached is the picture albeit I have changed some of the original ideas what is above in this thread is the final.

2. um yeah

D@@@@@@@@@@MN!!!!!!!

SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL!!!!!!

thats alot of thing a jiggers and shewadali bang bangs

cant wait to see it

3. I use to do all that fancy wiring and found out i just had one position i played in so now i just put a volume pot.
    With a cap on it.
    Any thing over 2 controllers confuses me.

4. Yvarg

Yvarg Gold Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Lake Forest, CA
    Personally, with that nice flowing body shape I would smooth out the corners of the headstock. Otherwise, I like the overall shape a lot.

5. wow....i wish i could design singlecuts like that, all sinuous and what not,anyway nice bass! mad props to the design

6. That bass could control the world....seriously, what couldnt you do with it? Thats amazing man, I hope to do my own custom bass sometime - good luck!
    and keep us posted! haha

7. So the wood has come in and now settling. I have the fretboard and the lacewood shown. I will post the neck woods and more pics of the bass in the near future. The builder has just informed me that all my hardware has just come in so I will post you guys later.

I really like the figure of the lacewood and think it will go quite well with the Macassar Ebony. The headstock will match the body and have birdseye maple logo.

I've also decided to round the head, add a body cut to the top rear butt of the bass, where you arm rests (sort of) and finally adding a jazz pick up in the front to allow more room for the extra frets.

BTW thank you for the compliments.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    I once designed a bass very,very similar to this one.
    Unfortunatelly the luthier who was to build it decided to not communicate and the whole thing went down.
    He still has all the parts...Doohh!!
    This one looks very nice too.
    I hope it will be as much fun as the shape suggests!
    Very nice!!!

9. So here it is, the full scale template. The width of the butt is about 13 1/2 inches and the horn was altered a bit (thinned out). The head was rounded off and after some time I finally chose this one because it fit best.

The other picture is a prototype bridge, handmade by the builder himself, on a 4 string. Mine will be exactly like this but with 6 saddles but much nicer in quality. I am having the strings go through the body the same way so here is an example of what it will look like. I assume this way there will be better sustain and easeir access to the strings.

(BTW; this bass has a purpleheart top and ash back, for those interested)

10. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    How does he set the hight of the strings?
    Looks nice!!

11. Well in response to you question:
    I believe, from what the builder has explained to me, the two hole on the sides are bridge adjust and the saddles themselves can move. Keep in mind this is a prototype so he is making changes as we speak now.

On my bass, the saddles will be able to move the string height, spacing, and intonation as well as the bridge height. This is an interesting way and new system for me so I'll be wondering the same thing.

12. that bridge rocks my socks, i'm always fighting with mine

13. that tailpiece looks like its from a warwick

14. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    ...which looks like an alembic rip...
    I much prefer the one pictured to anything warwick;)

15. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Inactive

Oct 20, 2004
    Yeah Warwick just copied Alembic's bridge/tailpiece style.

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Shame they did not go as far as copying the quality too :D

17. yes shame it is

18. Ok,
    So now that the we have gotten that out of our system I have new pictures to post. Pictured here is the neck laminate and lacewood in the background. Keep in mind there have been no cuts made yet. I'll keep you guys informed in the future. It is hard to post sometimes since my ship's bandwidth and server are so restrictive. Oh well.:smug:

19. Ok so we are a little bit closer to making the cuts to the body and attaching the neck. Here is another picture of the bass prior to being attached and cut.

20. JebSmells

JebSmells

Jul 23, 2007
    UK
    I have been wondering for a little while, is it more difficult to play with a S/C than a D/C? They look absolutely fantastic, and you don't really see many of them, just wondering if they were at all more difficult to play?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021