Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HeathW, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Hello out there, can any body help? :crying:
    I'm struggling to find a set of string to fit a custom made bass, thru body 35 scale, I'm looking for 5 string flatwounds, have tried La Bella deep talking extra long scale flat wounds and they are about 3/4" shy of the nut on the B string and getting a little better as you go up. anyone make longer strings or am I gonna have to go the custom route, I mean what do you get if you got a 36 scale bass??
    If I go custom does any body know a custom string supplier, I've googled it and got nothing! :help:
    thanks for any help!

2. solved found a custom string maker in england who's goin to make some custom strings for me cheaper than the ones that don't fit! see how they are I might use em on all my basses.

3. Who's you find? Do they have a website?

4. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Have you tried D'Addario's Super Long Scale (36") Chromes ECB81-5SL?

If you're strings through body, you might also want to try an upright bass set.

5. yeah here's the web site, http://www.dwmee.34sp.com/
    their called newtone string and the fella is very helpfull a custom set of string was about £23 I paid £27 for the la'bella's and one broke before I even got it in tune!!! realy no real pressure on it!!!
    didn't see the D'Addario's will look for em just in case
    cheers

6. The platinum series look very interesting, I may have to try a set.

7. yeah I went for the platinum ones, I spoke to him and he said they have a very fine wrap and a heavy core giving good string tension on the B, even on taper core ends. sound cool, If I get mine first I'll post what they're like. his pretty big in the acoustic would I believe.