custom bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HeathW, Jan 31, 2006.

1. Hello out there, can any body help? :crying:
    I'm struggling to find a set of string to fit a custom made bass, thru body 35 scale, I'm looking for 5 string flatwounds, have tried La Bella deep talking extra long scale flat wounds and they are about 3/4" shy of the nut on the B string and getting a little better as you go up. anyone make longer strings or am I gonna have to go the custom route, I mean what do you get if you got a 36 scale bass??
    If I go custom does any body know a custom string supplier, I've googled it and got nothing! :help:
    thanks for any help!
  2. solved found a custom string maker in england who's goin to make some custom strings for me cheaper than the ones that don't fit! see how they are I might use em on all my basses.
  3. Who's you find? Do they have a website?
  4. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Have you tried D'Addario's Super Long Scale (36") Chromes ECB81-5SL?

If you're strings through body, you might also want to try an upright bass set.
  5. yeah here's the web site,
    their called newtone string and the fella is very helpfull a custom set of string was about £23 I paid £27 for the la'bella's and one broke before I even got it in tune!!! realy no real pressure on it!!!
    didn't see the D'Addario's will look for em just in case

6. The platinum series look very interesting, I may have to try a set.
  7. yeah I went for the platinum ones, I spoke to him and he said they have a very fine wrap and a heavy core giving good string tension on the B, even on taper core ends. sound cool, If I get mine first I'll post what they're like. his pretty big in the acoustic would I believe.