Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BrewThru03, Feb 8, 2004.

1. BrewThru03

BrewThru03

Jan 21, 2004
    Mentor OH
    Hi I am thinking about making a bass myself. Does anyone know where I can buy wood on-line? What kind should I make the body out of. Also I want to buy a Bartolini pickup. I want it to sound just like flea's bass. If I just buy the pickup will it come with everything I need. Flea's is active do I need to buy something special to go with the pickup or no?

Thanks

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    If you don't know that, you probably shouldn't try building one from scratch.
    To make it sound like Flea's bass (which one, he's got quite a few you know!), you will need more than just a special pickup... and now you're only talking about the Bartolini BRAND - you do realise that they have an extensive catalogue of many KINDS of pickups that each has its own sound!

Seriously, you display enough ignorance in asking the above questions, to make me think your project is doomed to fail before it even started! Building a good bass (or even a useable one!) requires skill AND knowledge, you might have the first but you don't have the latter. My suggestion is to hang around here and at least learn the BASICS of building a bass before you spend time, wood and money on doing just that. You have a great resource here, but there are no shortcuts! (Well, except for Warmoth and USA Custom Guitars, but that's not building, only assembly.)

Sorry if this seems harsh, but I'm just being honest.

3. Falk

Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    Norway
    Try maple... Good stuff!
    My custom bass is mostly maple.
    But, I got mine built by a professional luthier.

I agree with Oysterman: Before building your own bass you'll have to do some serious research/study. It's not just "go ahead and build" Building an instrument requires exact calculations and skill.
    Try searching the net for books on the subject.

4. I'm with Oysterman and Falk, you need to know more. Books are good, I have one 'Make Your Own Electric Guitar and Bass' by Dennis Waring and David Raymond. Melvin Hiscock's (sp?) book of similar title seems to be considered highly by most in the know.

Personally I'd reccomend the use of a button you'll find just under where you'd check your private messages, the search facility. This topic and many others containing just about everything you need to know about building a bass. Also comming with 5 stars and 2 thumbs up is MIMF.com and their archives, information almost to excess.

Regarding your questions, find out what Flea's basses are made of, then that. Thats probably the best way, of course your sound is just as much the bass as it is your style...also effects too.