Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassistjo, Mar 18, 2006.

1. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    Im going to start making a coustom bass soon and want to know what things to put in to it. I play jazz blues and funk type stuff so I don't need any heavy metal stuff THX:bassist: :bassist:

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, pickups, electronics and hardware are traditional...

3. jbasso

jbasso

Mar 1, 2006
    Hugo, MN
    I personally suggest a neck :)

You may want to be a bit more specific

4. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i don't recommend building a custom until you can spell it :p

nah, i'm just playinnn.

basically, by making custom, do you mean you will hand build it or have it made? are you going to use your own design, or parts from say, warmoth pr other parts makers? really should decide on that first, then other things much much later.

5. bassistjo

bassistjo

Jun 22, 2005
    Im building a CUSTOM bass from warmoth i want to know what type of pickups and such to put into it

6. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    haha. ok. well, pickups wise. a P/J is a nice config. very versatile. theres always dual humbuckers. always a good choice.

7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    You put in whatever you like. The sound is in your hands.

Check the Pickups forum for info on pickups and electronics, then look at the Setup forum for the rest.

8. :rollno: c'mon guys it's a simple Question!

I will suggest some things,IMHO Bartolini soapbars are great as is, there preamps.Also,I really like Hipshot Hardware.You may want to really think about pickup placement it is, very important to the sound of the bass.:)

9. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Granted, but it's also a very broad question.

Your suggestions are very good, but they're just what you like, and there's no guarantee that Jo's not looking for something very different.

Questions about hardware, pickups and electronics are asked extensively. It would be very beneficial to search and read those threads instead of asking a brand new question that does not have one single correct answer.