Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom basses; a bass thing only?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Vorago, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Is it me or are there more custom bass brands (think Fodera, F Bass, Roscoe, Ritter, MTD, Conklin, etc etc) than there are guitar custom "boutique" brands or is it just me?
    Also, don't you see more bassplayers with high end boutiques than guitarplayers? I'm just asking, maybe it's my perception or the fact that Tb is kinda snobby :smug: ?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I have MIJ 75 Reissue Fender Jazz, and a Carvin LB75F. I wouldn't call all of us snobby here....

But I do feel like there are a lot of custom guitar options too, but as a bass player, we don't notice or think about it, so we think they don't exist.

3. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I meant "snobby" as a pun, but I meant that custom high end basses seem to be more popular with pro players than custom guitars are with pro guitarists..

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I don't agree. The professional bassists that I tend to think about are more jazz, or fusion related have higher end custom basses because their talent and sound requires them. But there are many guitarist with great custom guitars in the same music field.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY

I guess I don't get the pun, but I understood you were just joking about it.

6. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    ok, just trying not to insult people ;)

7. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Well, Ibanez rule guitars.... look at the Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Frank gambale, Reb beach and Paul Gilbert models...

with bass, we have other options :D

8. I think that when you start looking for clean sound on something tuned as low as a bass, there are many more factors that come into play. Weight, string spacing, wood materials, body shape, sound, just to mention a few.

I think guitar players look for the character in their sound to come from their amp. It defines much more of what you hear for guitar players than it does for bass players. For example, a vintage fender deluxe sounds a certain way. Different than a high gain Boogie. A Marshall sounds like a Marshall. These are the things my guitar playing friends change when they want a different sound. These changes are like broad strokes with a paint roller.

For bass, we all play differently. Our hands move differently. The strings fall under our fingertips differently. When you have played for a while you start to figure out what works for your hands, and ears. This is why there is a high end bass market.

I am starting to ramble so I'll cool it until I can better convey what I mean.