Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Basses Made in Brazil

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Earl Wingerter, Mar 5, 2004.

1. Earl Wingerter

Earl Wingerter

Dec 2, 2003
    Houston
    Looking for info on custom basses Made in Brazil by Reges -
    anyone?

2. pc

pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    Never heard about them... The best brazilian high end basses are Wood (stated above), HMZ (from Wood founder), Cheruti, Cast and M.Zagannin. There are others, not so famous, but with high quality stuff also. Cassio and D'alegria are some examples.

There are also the mass production guys: Tagima, Giannini, Tonante, and the brazilian made in Korea: Condor, Strinberg, Crafter, Eagle.

3. Earl Wingerter

Earl Wingerter

Dec 2, 2003
    Houston
    It has the name R. Luthier on the headstock and it looks like
    it was made for Tony Gullage, a gospel bass player in New Orleans. (His name is on the headstock) I picked it up from a latin jazz bass player in New Orleans. It's got active EMG jazz pickups and parametric mid EQ. Its had a re-fret job too. It sounds great, I'm using it for funk and redeaux on older
    classic rock tunes. I would just like to find out more about who made it.

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Me neither. It's likely Reges is one of the smaller builders out of most people's radar...

pc, I don't know if Tonante is any better than it was in my day, but I remember them being the worst guitars on the market. The guitarist in my first band used to own one. I tried it and said "A person who can play this can play anything"

He answered "I know. that's why I'm so good!":D

5. Earl Wingerter

Earl Wingerter

Dec 2, 2003
    Houston
    See if this looks familiar to anyone

6. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    how's Tagima quality?

7. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    very good!! great woods, construction and hardwares (bridges,tuners,etc). Best bass for the price in Brazil.

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Felipe Andreolli from Angra uses a killer D'alegria 6-string.

9. De Oliveira is a new custom bass brand in Brazil. You gotta check it out: http://www.deoliveirabass.com.br

Made with brazilian ecologicly certified woods. I mean, no damage to our forests!

Now, some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]