Custom Basses that take years to come

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by richnota, Feb 24, 2006.

1. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    hudson valley
    My custom Turner and Rob Allen didnt take too long to come (especially the Allen). We've all seen the custom bass wait support group thread--it can be tough.

Being a part-time brooklyn resident, I started thinking about ordering a bass from Carl Thompson; whose shop is a couple of blocks from my place.

He's been threatening to retire for years and I figured it would be cool to have one of his instruments.

Here's the rub: I pretty sure we're talking about two years waiting. Its kind of a weird thing in this instant gratification world. Could i be the only one who finds this strangely appealing? You put a deposit down and sometime in 2008 you get a call saying your bass is ready. Its the opposite of GAS.

Kind of like planting a tree.
  2. tribal3140

tribal3140 Banned

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    my expierence as a "seasoned bass waiter"
    Dont do it if its going to be over 18 mos-2 years.
    If and when you finally get it it might not be at all what your tastes have evolved to.

When........ someday over the rainbow...........I get my ken bebensee I might not even like the features I liked 3 years ago.
    My tastes have sophisticated exponentially since then and well I guess that sums up my stance on it.
    I have had 10 custom basses made in the 3 years he has been growing that bass.

edit: He said it was going to be only 18 mos so I guess I have salted then ate my foot by the above statement
  3. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    I'm reaching 16 months right now, waiting for the bass to get built wasn't a real deal, but it has been hard to wait on a complete instrument because of getting a gigbag to fit it :meh:

anyway, good news, it's done, and it ships to the Conklin shop on Monday! :)
  4. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Only bass I'd wait two years for is a Wal.