1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom Basses That Wont Break The Bank?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WavyGravy, Mar 22, 2013.

1. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    What are some Bass Builders/Companies that offer customizable basses for reasonable prices? I'm looking for a nice short scale that's personalized to my liking and I'm trying to lay out my options here.

I wont list a specific price because I want to see the differences in price ranges but preferably under a grand would be nice.

2. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    There's Warmoth. Price seems to be pretty much in the MIA Fender range as far as I can tell after you get the hardware, pickups, etc. Mighty Mite is much cheaper, but they're so cheap I can't help but be a little suspicious of quality. I have no idea, they could be awesome, I've just never looked into them much.

A lot of people seem to like modding their Squier and SX stuff so that's a possibility.

3. Green1

Green1 Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2010
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Valenti.......great basses and Nino is a great guy as well

4. TheFenderBender

TheFenderBender

Jun 27, 2012
    Any way to create a digital model online to see a preview?

5. Adam Wright

Adam Wright Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2002
    Arlington,Tx
    GHS Strings
    Valenti...for the money, nothing comes close. Oscar Prat is also very reasonable. ACG also makes great stuff that should cost much more.

6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    A custom bass that won't break the bank? Easy! A really big bank!

7. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    CARVIN,nice basses and customized to your likings...:)

8. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

Jan 10, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    no, but you should take the time to browse through his past builds to get an idea of what he's capable of, and who know, you could stumble onto a bass with similar specs to your needs.

9. bassWR

bassWR

Nov 21, 2009
    Warner Robins GA
    +1 on Valenti.
    Great basses and a great guy to deal with.

10. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    +1 on Valenti. Plus he will put up with crap like asking to change the pickup setup 3 months into a build... Twice

11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I'm working on a custom-build…I almost hate to use the hackneyed word, a Frankenbass.

I'm using a Mighty Mite Precision body I got off the Bay, an ebonol-boarded neck harvested from a Squier Active Jazz courtesy of Guitar Center's used database, an odd assortment of parts collected from various music stores also selling through eBay and a set of Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders from Alembic83. Once I'm done doing some home-made mods (more on that when I start an actual thread for this…creation) I'll hand it over for final assembly to the guitar tech at my local Guitar Center, whom I trust implicitly.

I haven't done a total tally of costs since the labor isn't factored in yet, but right now the parts have cost about $400-ish. If all goes according to plan I should have a rather unique P/J hybrid that costs around $500 or so.

One thing that makes the total cost sting less is by taking my time and shopping around for good deals on parts. This way the outlay of cash is spread around, not all dropped on me like a bomb.