1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Custom Bob Frenz 6-string Headless Neck Through

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bassosaurus, Apr 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bassosaurus

Bassosaurus Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Frenz Six string bass
    · Wenge/Koa neck through body
    · Single truss rod, graphite reinforced
    · Pau Ferro fingerboard w/ wenge outter stripes
    · Upper wing is swamp ash
    · Lower wing is swamp ash and koa
    · Wenge control cover (screws on/off)
    · Hand rubbed oil finished
    · EMG 45 DC pups
    · Controls: Master Volume - Pup Blend - Treble - Bass
    · Brass side position fret markers (small cirles)

Completed around 1999. By the time it was finished I decided 6-string bass wasn't really my thing, so this has seen very little play time.

Bob took his time w/ me on the body design and it tuned out splendidly. And the choice of woods blended together nicely to get the thick tone I was after. The bottom is big clear and solid w/ some high mid snap.

I started w/ a Jazz bass body, cause I like the way it rests on my lap when seated. Then I just took out the unnecessary wood to loose weight and also provide access to the upper frets. I decided to have the body contoured – so the back is slightly concave. It is very comfortable to play standing or w/ a strap and sits nicely in the lap, but could be better if the bottom horn was just a bit longer. The cord jack is out of the way and the knobs are slightly recessed for a clean look.

I went w/ a headstock-less design after playing some neck diving 6ers. No problems w/ that here! Balance is great – no dive whatsoever.

The bass has sat in a gig bag (included) most of the past 6-7 years, but I have it in a room w/ other fine instruments where I keep the humidity between 40 and 50 %. The wood is a bit dry in a couple spots and she could use a setup at this point – plays well down low, but a bit of buzzing on the big stings once you get above the 12th fret.

I hate to sell it because it is so unique and was built for me, but I can’t imagine I will ever play it much - I mostly just play acoustic guitar now anyway – so I’d like to see her go to a good home.

I started this bass at $1400, but will accept a reasonable offer. $1200 will get you there w/out hesitation, at this point. My ebay feedback is 100% after 19 sales. You can look up my ebay feedback - I'm "4toons4u".

Thanks for looking!

----------------------

2. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Here's another of the whole front...

3. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    A couple neck shots...

The 'headstock' is such that DOUBLE BALL STRINGS NOT NEEDED. Just cut to length and an allen bolt holds them in place. On the bridge end, strings simply slide into there slots - easy!

4. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Aw man! Oooooh owww yikes!
    And I'm just selling my bolt on and building another headless.
    That is a sweet bass no doubt. A bump for you and perhaps I'll have to look into my finances.
    Would you do Paypal?
    Dirk

5. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Yes, PayPal or money order would work too. I'll even include shipping/insurance in the price as long as it's inside the US.

Wow, your Frenz bass looks great too - I was suprised to see another one listed for sale at the same time - wonder how many he's made?

Is Bob building your next bass too? I've been wondering if he was still in business - not much info on the net about him.

6. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Any info or place where I can read up on the maker of this bass?

Who made the bridge system for this bass? Is it like a steinberger?

7. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Not that I know of... DirK(?)

He is based out of Columbus, Ohio - got into it wanting to make heavy metal guitars, pointy things w/ nice wood, but his basses seemed to catch on a more. He was working on an acoustic bass guitar, as well, when I went to pick mine up.

I know two other guys that had basses made - one guy was on his 4th or so - both happy and gigged regularly w/ these.

I've done internet searches on his name a few times the last couple years and haven't found much - figured he wasn't making instruments anymore or just had enough business that he didn't need to advertise.

He always seemed to have a half dozen in the works and lots of pics of completed basses, so I'm suprised there is not more info about him around.

I think it came from Germany, but that's about all I remember. The nut end is not a double-ball like a steinberger (it is described in the post above w/ the neck pics).

On the bridge side, the ball fits in a slot which moves back pulling the string as you tighten the tunning wheel. I believe that is how the steinberger works too. It works very well.

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    You have pm.

9. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    If it came from Germany it's likely ABM or ETS, probably not ETS as it doesn't look like their style.

10. simisker

simisker

Dec 24, 2005
    UK
    It's an ABM system, made in Germany, and used on Sei basses among others. In other words, top quality :)

11. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Yep it is an ABM, both head and tail. I wrote him a while ago when someone here gave me his e-mail. About 2 weeks later he repsonded and he's still building. He has no web presence, I was this close to offer building him a site. His stuff is great I can tell you first hand, the three I own are completely different in construction but the tone is hi-tech modern sound, and top of the line.
    He's not building me my new one, I'm using his basses as models to improve my own building techniques. I actually saw one of his G*#tars and it looked great, had a locking trem and a sweet top.

Bassosaurus I was equally surprised to see yours as I was looking at my post. It's a spring Frenzstravaganza! LOL
    I'm still thinking about yours. :)
    If I don't jump on it, I can tell you his basses are top notch and you won't be sorry if you pick it up, and the price is a steal!
    Dirk

12. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Frenzstravaganza! :bassist: ha, ha!

Thanks for your comments Dirk. I know he is an unknown builder, so the price is reasonable. I appreciate you confirming the quality - you own three, that says a lot!

Maybe he'll make a name for himself soon enough?

Thanks too simisker/AJ for the bridge info. Much obliged.

13. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for the info all.

14. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    PM sent.

15. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Man I'll give you a bump as well, somebody should grab this bass before I have too! If mine sells you'll be getting a PM right away. :)
    Cheers,
    Dirk

16. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hi, Just out of curiosity would you be accepting trades?
    - Tom

17. Bassosaurus

Aug 27, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Dirk,
    Thanks for the bump and again for the props;)

echo008,

Not looking to trade - maybe a sweet old Fender jazz, seeing as I foolishly parted w/ mine years ago.

but...really don't play bass anymore - not in a band and not looking - I appreciate your interest, though.

Take care now,

18. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    No problem ... Good Luck!

19. Dirk Diggler

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Gotta bump you next to my post my pal Bassosaurus. :)
    Wasn't the song you were thinking of "The Bertha Butt Boogie"?
    Bump bump bumpadump
    LOL
    Dirk

20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Bob Frenz has done setup work on two of my basses in the past, including a total refret, and he really knows his stuff.

I had the pleasure of playing a few of his basses when at his home. I can attest that he does TREMENDOUS work, great quality. A friend of mine in another local cover band here in Columbus plays a Frenz 5 string and it sounds amazing and plays like butter.

For the life of me I don't understand why Bob doesn't market through a web-page, his name would be well known if he did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.