1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Custom bodies?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brithedark, Dec 19, 2018.

1. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    i have a ton of basses. And I love my squier VM Jag SS from a neck and body design standpoint. But it's too damn heavy (I have a very rare mitochondrial disease weight is an issue). And it's dead tone wise.

What's the best way to clone the body, but use better, lighter wood (even Paulownia)?

In healthier days, I'd buy a slab and get shaping. Can't happen anymore.

2. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    If you only lighten the body and not the neck, the balance will be upset.

3. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    I understand. In my case, it's not that important. I will never be standing to play. While I know balance is important regardless, weight is more so. A light neck would be wonderful.

4. el jeffe bass

el jeffe bass

Nov 22, 2013
    New Mexico
    I also must play sitting, my Jag SS is uncomfortable to play sitting without a strap due to neck dive but, like you, I like the overall feel of the bass. I have considered having a fretless neck built by a local luthier with a smaller headstock to help combat the balance issues.

5. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    I see your point. I even went so far as to Dismantle every instrument I own and weigh each piece.

Most short scale Bodies for me are a bit too small and leave too little room to rest right arm properly. the Jag is the closest to "right" for me. But the 2 I have are some of the heaviest basses I own. I'm semi confident I could shape a body but getting the neck pocket right? I don't have the energy to do it. :-(

6. hypercarrots

hypercarrots

Jan 28, 2009
    los angeles
    what weight are you aiming for?

7. brithedark

brithedark

Jan 5, 2009
    PA
    Under 7? My mikro is sub 6. A creation I call Santa P is a full paulownia body with a short rondo neck and it's 6.78. I use it often.

My lightest Jag is 7.95lbs. I have a few rondo 3/4 and another Jag that's 8.5. and My Geddy full scale is 9.75 lbs.