Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

custom body question...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BassMan257, Mar 3, 2006.

1. does anyone know the measurements for a bass like this?

any tips on building one? i mean, like sizes and how to line up the body with the neck?

[​IMG]

i mean, i understand how they did the veneer and stuff.. just dont really get the way that they did the neck and how big the body is...

thanks!

2. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Try to get a fornt pic from Carey's site and based on the scale lenght try to devise out the proportions of the body

3. hmm... ok... just so you know, im not planning on making this exact body design, and im not even sure if im going to do it... i just want to know how big of a piece of wood im going to need...

man, good spalted/burled maple is really expensive... and ive heard its hard to work with...

oh well...

maybe i should just make a generic before i make a nice bass... lol...

4. Diego

Diego

Dec 9, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Yes, burls, quilts and any other wood graining that is not straight is hard to work with (comparatively). I think you should go for it and make your own custom bass...not exactly Carey's design but something cool. The one thing to keep in mind....make the body large enough as for being a good source of natural wood resonance as well as heavy enough tobalance the neck and prevent neck dive.

5. Yeah... ill be posting pics of a couple designs ive made that i hope are the right size..

im actually planning on making more than one bass... i mean, i know a couple high grade carpenters that could hook me up with some nice wood... and my dad knows the basics around such things as routing and stuff...

I think ill go for more of a tele design first.. than one like that bass^... ill post pics after church...

6. basically once you get the scale down, and the location of the bridge, you just make an upper horn without the cutaway, kinda hard to describe

7. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Look at the thread in Basses regarding basses designed/built by their owners. There are some great back shots of similarly designed instruments.