1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom build pickup question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Dredmahawkus, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus

Nov 4, 2012
    Boston
    Ok so I am going to have a bass built with usacustom parts. I wanted to put a p bass neck and a EBMM bridge pup. I see Nordstrand makes both pickups. Now I know nothing about the electronics and pickups. All I know is I do not want to have more then 4 knobs. Can someone please explain to me what I need to buy to make that work. So I can use either pickup or both at once. I don't even care if its active or passive. I will probably need stacked knobs to control all that. Can someone tell me what preamp or preamps I need to run that? Do I need 2 preamps one for each? And what kind should I get that will sound the best and most like a MM. And a pbass.

2. You can wire it however you want. There are a lot of different ways to go about, depending on personal preference.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    You can do two volumes; one for each pickup, or a master volume and blend. Same amount of knobs.

Do you want a 2 or 3 band EQ? That will be a couple of knobs. Generally you can get the bass/treble controls stacked so it only takes up one knob space.

You only need one preamp.