Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom building and repairs?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Jan 24, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I am interested in delving into the techie world and learning how to custom-assemble and repair instruments. I know how to do my own set-ups, but I'd like to learn more. I was wondering if anyone here could provide any insights into the following:

- Is it easy or difficult to custom-build an instrument from parts? I don't mean the construction itself - I mean the actual customizing of it for ME. For example, if I know that I want this kind of sound with that kind of weight and balance and the other kind of feel to it, just how hard is it to get it all right?

- Where do techs usually learn this stuff? I know that there are some schools for this out there, but they are VERY expensive. In general, is it just as helpful to apprentice with a local repair guy? Do they usually do that sort of thing? Are there any places that will certify techs?

Thanks in advance.:cool: