1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom builds - which body shapes?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jared Lash, Jan 18, 2012.

1. The ODB and ODB variant shaps

21 vote(s)
    42.9%
  2. The "Fossil" and "Duality" shapes

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. I prefer carrots

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    So I have put down a deposit on a pair of basses from Chris Stambaugh. My goal is to do a modern/vintage thing so I'm going with passive wiring and painted bodies and a pickguards rather than exotic wood tops.

But I'm rethinking my body shape ideas. My original thought was to use Chris' ODB shape for one bass (a sort of Roscoe Beck IV variant) and round that shape out a bit for the second (a variation on Chris' Fossil design) to keep them looking similar.

Now I'm wondering if I want to just use Chris' body shape for the Fossil and his Duality shape (with a Roscoe Beck like pickguard) for the other bass.

In either case one bass will be candy apple red with a black pickguard and ebony board and the other will be either transparent blue or Lake Placid blue with a pearloid pickguard and maple board.

Option 1 - the ODB shape and a rounded variant
    Here are a couple pictures of the ODB shape and my sketches with pickguards
    IMG_0005.
    IMG_0020.
    RB_sketch.
    fossil_sketch.

Option 2 - the Fossil and Duality body shapes:
    fossil1big.
    fossil3big.
    and
    duality1big.
    duality2big.

Which pair do you prefer?

2. Fossil ftw!

Very Vintage Modern...I wouldn't know what to do with 3 pickups though...I usually have 1! haha

3. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    Fossil all the way.
    Good luck with the project.

4. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Thanks for the opinion

I've never owned a three pickup bass either but I dig the idea and got a great review from a TBer that owns one of Chris' Fossil designs. They are three single coil pickups with the middle one reversed from the other two so it can form a humbucking pair. So the five position selector switch gives you a choice of the front pickup soloed, the front and middle together, the middle soloed, the middle and bridge combined or the bridge soloed. Rather than a tone knob it uses the Stellartone Tonestyler which I dig.

I'm starting to lean that way myself. I love the look of the ODB shape but I'm worried it will look too modern, even painted and with a pickguard.

5. ronaldpdbrandt

ronaldpdbrandt Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2011
    Suffolk County, NY
    I chose the first option, because I love the ODB/Fossil hybrid (in the second drawing).

6. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I definitely like both the original ODB shape and the variant. I think they look good in my sketches. My only real reason to go with the other shapes is that they are more traditional looking. My current pair of basses are fairly outlandish and I'm looking for these two to fit in everywhere.

7. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I as a fossil dig the Fossil

8. SallyGrowler

SallyGrowler

May 17, 2010
    I have an ODB - I do like the Fossil / Duality shapes.

Tell Stammy his octave coursed 8 he made me is doing fine - 13 years later!

9. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I'm still going back and forth.

Any other thoughts?

10. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars

I voted ODB because I think it looks great with the pickguard; it almost has a pseudo-Rick vibe while having its own character. But given the post above, the Fossil shape might be the one for you.

ODB is way more interesting to me, but I understand wanting a bass with conservative looks. The Fossil is a solid choice.

11. I think the Fossil with the duality pickguard would be oh so sexy.

12. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    why not just eat the 100 custom shape fee, and just get a jazz and P bass body.

but if i had to pick i'd pick the 2 bodies that are the same. switching back and forth would be effort less.

13. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Yeah, you hit the nail square on the head. I like the ODB shape more. Even though Chris will build pretty much any type of bass, that shape always seemed the most original or the most "Stambaugh-esque" to me.

But I don't want it to stick out like a sore thumb or scream "boutique bass" when people look at it. I think the Warwick Fortress stradles the modern/vintage line fairly well and it's a similar shape so it might work but the safe choice is to go with the more traditional body shape.

Interesting to look at the poll. As of right now, carrots is actually in second place (thanks a lot jerks! ;) ) but if I'm soliciting opinions I should certainly give them some weight and my TB brethren currently like the ODB shape by a 2-1 margin. That has to mean something.

Interesting thought. . .

The thought has crossed my mind. Chris actually wouldn't charge me for a custom body shape since he's done a few P's and J's but I'm not sure I want to go all the way down the road of copping the Pbass or Jazz look. These basses are built around some pretty interesting passive electronics that are pretty different from a P or a Jazz and if I'm copping the shape I think it would be odd to have a distinctly different tone than those classics. But believe me, I've thought about it.

The Fossil shape already (IMO) looks like a cross between a Telecaster (guitar) and a early Precision or Telecaster bass. And the Duality obviously borrows from the Jazz and Precision. I think that's the appeal to me. They bear a resemblance to Fender basses without going all the way there.

14. I did a quick sketch of the fossil with the duality pickguard, just to see if it would actually look good.

Damn you GAS, damn you.

Attached Files:

15. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    That's not a bad look at all!

I think I'm going to stay the course and go with the ODB shapes. What really struck me yesterday was that the Warwick Fortress Flashback (to me) pulls off the vintage/modern look well.

It's a bass with an cool but unusual shape, it has a wenge neck & fingerboard with brass frets, an oiled finish, the non-traditional looking Warwick headstock, three lipstick pickups and sometimes even the two piece bridge. And yet IMO it still has a look that could fit in pretty much anywhere other than when someone is demanding a Fender.

I think the twin ODB basses can cop a similar vibe.

Some Fortress Flashback pics for reference:

02-Front.
    04-Controls.
    flashback4.
    07-Headstock.

16. Kano2864212

Kano2864212

Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield, MA
    I really liked the ODB with the Roscoe Beck style guard

17. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    This would be a very nice body shape for your new bass!

[​IMG]

:bag:

18. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    prototype #2:

[​IMG]

19. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    Nice photoshop and I really dig the Tele look. And Chris would build it in a heartbeat. But from experience I know I don't dig singlecuts.

But somebody should absolutely jump on that concept. I'd love to see it in a vintage Fender color. Maybe black or oly white with a tort guard.

20. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Yeah, the photoshoped tele bass looks awesome to me! however, I'd like to have a singlecut version of the MM5 style bass, something like this:

[​IMG]

:cool: