1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Custom Built for Rhonda Smith (& played by her) - Bossa OB/UJ 4 Custom MUST SEE!!!!

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Quadzilla, Jul 5, 2014.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Strings:
    GONE (sold)!!!!!!!

FS Only!

One of a kind Bossa bass that was custom built for Rhonda Smith. If you don't know who Rhonda is, you can find her on many full page ads in Bass Player mag. She plays with Jeff Beck, Prince, Shiela E, etc, etc. She's all the rage right now ;-)

Toshio (the master luthier) built this bass specifically for her. It's very light (about 8 lbs), action is CRAZY low. I "s" you not, the workmanship is second to none. I've owned and/or played just about every bass made by the "big builders" (ie Sadowsky, Lull, Smith, Tobias-USA, etc ,etc) and this bass is right up there or dare I say better than most of them. A lot of big players are moving to Bossa (Nathan Watts, Rhonda Smith and several others) for a reason.

You cannot buy this model. It has the body of one Bossa model and the headstock of another. This was a special request from Rhonda. I think this combo works better than the body and headstock combos on those respective models.

I bought this bass 2 or 3 years ago directly from Rhonda. She toured with it and I've played as my #1 for almost all of that time. Between her touring and my playing, there are some minors dings and chips (nitro finish), but it's in good shape over-all and plays and sounds amazing! I can also give you a copy of the original receipt from when I bought it directly from her. Have to sell her as my wife lost her job and I'm not making what I used to :-(.

Balances and plays exceptional. 18v 3-band electronics with coil selector (single or h-buck). Price is $1650 obo (which is less than 1/2 of price new with these options) Comes with a Fender ATA case that fits great.

Bossa Link:

http://www.bossa-usa.com/

Here is her playing it in 2009. There are also some videos on the net of her playing it live.

http://www.drfunkenberry.com/2009/04/17/rhonda-smith-getting-funky-at-the-aqua-lounge/

20120525_182714.

20140705_121001_zpskxytki52.

20140705_120951_zpstofqlvlk.

20140705_120940_zps0xfvdcit.

20140705_120639_zps9hkkgdog.

20140705_121009_zpsgi3iaxqs.

20140705_121026_zpsviug7h0s.

20140705_121033_zps1h8bjmyq.

20140705_121040_zpsovkh59yi.

20140705_121110_zpsyxzqb2vp.

rhondasmith-aprilsutton.

rhondasmith-aqualounge1.

GONE (sold)!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. What is the nut width on this ?

3. Quadzilla

1.5" Very fast neck!

4. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    Pm sent

5. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Super cool bass and a great TB'r to work with. GLWTS

Quadzilla likes this.
  6. ElliottStrong

ElliottStrong Music City via the Motor City Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Nashville/ Detroit
    Is the preamp boost and cut or boost only

7. Quadzilla

I'm 95% sure it's boost/cut. I can check.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  8. ElliottStrong

ElliottStrong Music City via the Motor City Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Nashville/ Detroit
    Never responded to mine

9. Quadzilla

Hi Elliott,

Sorry about that. Appreciate the trade offer, but as stated in the original post, it's for sale only. Thanks again.

10. I don't know why these aren't more popular with players in the U.S. And, it's a damn shame, too. I do know that.

11. Up.

12. Molan

Molan

Dec 13, 2003
    Oxfordshire, UK
    Looks great - something around 8lbs would really help the torn rotator cuff muscle in my shoulder as well. . . :)

Is it just me or are the pickups slightly over-sized for a 4 string bass? Maybe it's just the camera angles?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  13. gorneyg

gorneyg Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2012
    New Jersey
    Still selling? See it's off Ebay.

14. idealtracks

idealtracks

Dec 18, 2001
    Nice! If I were buying a bass in this price range right now, this would be the one!

15. Quadzilla

Bump for reasonable offers (getting ready to list her on EvilBay).... :-(

16. Quadzilla

GONE (sold)!!!!!!!