custom cab arrangement decision...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stedtale, Jan 9, 2006.

1. I've decided to get myself a new cab. I, like many others, am trying to get a smaller, lighter set-up. In the next few months I'll be calling Don at LDS to order a cab, but I need some great TB advice. I've decided on two options, both with the NEOs most likely. I did some searches, but I could find any posts that put these two configs against each other - if you know of one send me the post.

Cab 1) 3way cab with 2-8"s, 1 (or 2)-5"s and a soft dome tweet with a HF L-pad (and possibly MF L-pad)

Cab 2) 3way cab with 1-12", 1 (or 2)-6"s and a soft dome tweet with a HF L-pad (and possibly MF L-pad)

I mainly need it for rehearsal and stage monitoring for myself and the drummer. I do have a six string. Usually I play with drums, keys, guitar (acc) and/or piano. I like my sound to be focused, tight, smooth and quick. I do like a little warmth, but I can get that from some tubes.

Anyone out there used similar combinations? I haven't even thought about which drivers to put in it yet, as far as brand.

I know there's plenty of people out there with LDS stuff, and I'm guessing that these two cabs have been made before by LDS. In the end, I'll call Don and get his opinion too.

Thanks a ton!
  2. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    What kind of amp do you have?

I'm considering an upgrade myself, and will be contacting Don in a few months. he is currently building a 2x12 2x6 cab for another TB member as we speak. If you check out the website they have a pic of the same cab but it has 15's not 12's like you want.

I think the amp and power you have will dictate what you can do really.

I'm running an old WT800 about options! It's either 2 4ohm cabs or one 8ohm cab....
  3. I will be getting an iAmp, either new iAMP500, or used iAMP800. I think they're both good down to 2Ohms. I also use an EHX 2ube.
  4. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    I had also been considering the three way 2x8. My advice to you would be to call Don and ask him. I talked to him recently and like many other TB'ers will tell you, he really knows his stuff and he will be happy to share with you.
  5. I have a 3x8 B&C Neo LDS cab with tweeter. It's a very nice cab, and puts out about the same amount of sound as a good 112 cab. The 8's do give it quite a bit of quickness compared to a 12, and of course a tighter low end. Don makes great cabs. A buddy of mine has a 2x8 B&C, 5" and tweeter from Don, and it sounds GREAT with his Walter Woods and his DB.

The only thing I would caution is that a 2x8 cab will not get very loud with electric bass (which is why I went with the additional 8 vs. the 5, especially since the B&C Neo's have some mid warmth and punch to them).

If you really, really think you want the 8's, go for it. However, Don can make you a Neo 112 with tweeter that IMO would be more appropriate (i.e., louder with more bottom) for EB.

Don is pretty good about talking through your needs versus the box design.

6. How would you characterize, "not very loud"?
  7. IME... a good quality 110.... maybe a little more... between a 110 and 112.

Edit: I just noticed one of your choices was a three way 112... I didn't see that before. Not sure about the three way... but I would highly recommend the 112 over the 2x8 for electric bass.
  8. so a 111? :smug:

Thanks that helps to kinda put it into my mind's ear.

What do you push yours with?
  9. Ha! I like that... a 111! I bet Don could make one.

I actually use mine primarily in my rehearsal space. It's 5.3 ohms and I use an AI Focus (series II.. so I'm putting about 500 watts into it... it is rated at 450). It sounds great... very warm and quick. However, gig-wise, I primarily purchased it for the few times I use my Rob Allen on very soft gigs (either folk or jazz). As with DB, 8" speakers seem to work very well with a more acoustic sound.. helping control the HUGE bottom that comes out of those buffered piezo pickups.
  10. Regarding Don's 112 two way Neo cabs, Mikebass and I (and a few others) A/B'd the LDS vs. Epi112UL (an amazing cab) a while ago in the shop. From my memory, the Epi was still noticably lighter... although the LDS was light also. The Epi had more bottom and a sweeter top end IMO, but Don's cab had more mid presence.

My point is that if Don's 112's still maintain that tone profile, you might not need the mid driver, especially if you put a 'natural sounding' tweeter in there. Of course, Don's the one to talk to about this. He really does make a very nice cab at a decent price.

Mikebass and Tom Bowlus both have experience with various models of Don's cabs. You might want to PM them and get more input.
  11. I bet Don could too!

I like the quick and tight that your talking about with the 8"s, but the 12" might have more volume... I do play upright, but very seldom amped.

So, your saying that 2x8 would be quieter than 1x12. I'll be calling Don for sure and get his expert opinion. I wish I could check LDS out, but from St. Paul it's a heck of a day tripper...
  12. That is quite a way. I spent quite a bit of time in St. Paul in the past.... I love the St. Paul Grill in the beautiful St. Paul hotel... great hang! :)

Anyway.... yes, I believe a good quality, high efficiency 112 will put out more low end volume than the 2x8's (two way and three way) that I've played... at least with electric bass. I guess the fact that most 112's are 8ohms and the 2x8 could be ordered in 4ohms might help a little bit with equating the volume.
  13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    First off, the variety of cabs available from LDS is nothing short of staggering, and they all have their plusses and minuses, so I'd say talk to Don about what you are after, and my guess is that the two of you can come up with something really great.

As for some specific configurations, I also have an LDS 3-way neo 3x8, and this cab has a good bit more low end than the other LDS cabs I have tried with neo 8" drivers. But, in a 2x8 setup, the best that I've heard were some 2-way 4 ohm "Patterson Audio" 2x8 cabs (which are made by Don; Ralf Patterson does crossovers for LDS, and so LDS and Patterson Audio cabs are basically the same thing) which used a titanium tweeter and a different crossover. These sounded so good, that I was really bummed that they were already sold. Well, in a roundabout way, though, these cabs did make it to me, and I now have them in the "Bowlus Bass Borg." :D These are definitely my favorite "LDS" 2x8's, and they use ceramic drivers, BTW.

In general, I agree that a 1x12 is going to be louder than a 2x8, but if you are concerned about volume, a 4 ohm 2x8 can get fairly loud. In fact, I'd say that my 4 ohm, ceramic driver Patterson 2x8's are about as loud as my 5.3 ohm, neo driver LDS 3x8. I'll have to do an A/B to confirm/deny this.

In addition to a very nice 1x12, LDS also makes a killer 1x15, if that isn't too big. A 1x15 with a 6" mid and a tweet might be nice.

14. I figured I get imput from the man who owns every piece of gear on the planet! :smug:

Ok, now I'm really in need to call Don. I really want to keep it light and small(ish). I'll have to have a talk with Don and figure out exactly what trade offs I'll need to make to get a size, weight and sound I'm happy with. My plan was to go 4 Ohm if I could, I know it limits my options to add more cabs, but the iAMP goes down to 2 Ohms if I need to add more.
  15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Hey, that's what I'm here for, man! :D

Another route to consider is the 3-way 1x8 with a 1x12 sub. When I first heard the 1x8, I loved its upper mids and highs, but felt that it could use some help down low, and I asked Don if he could put a 10" sub in the same sized box. Well, it turns out he can even put a 12" driver in that same 14" x 14" box! Although I am still intrigued by a 10", ported sub in the same box. At any rate, this two cab combo would still be fairly compact, and should cover a lot of ground, sonically.

Also, be sure to ask him about his "briefcase" sized cab... :ninja:

16. Hey now we're talkin'... 10" or 12" sub in the 1x8 box? Sweetmeat that'd be awesome. :p

Is it downfiring, tilted or something? I'm not a huge math guy (ok so I AM a geek, or well goofus - just ask my wife) but 14x14 could hold an 8 and a 12 both forward facing on the same side.

I'll be sure to ask about the iefcasebray izedsay abscay....
  17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    It is forward facing, and you can see a picture of a 1x12 sub and 3-way 1x8 (connected by a telescoping pole) on the Low Down Sound website.

18. Ahh, it's a second cab, got it.

EDIT: I was so excited by the idea, I, obviously, didn't file all the information into my brain. :D
  19. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO, something with a 12 and a 6 or 8 would be awesome. Seems like this thread is kinda' focused on LDS stuff, but my little featherweight Accugroove Tri-112L sounds awesome with a 6 string. If you like the "quickness" of smaller speakers (as I do), I'd suggest getting both. IMHO, I just like the kind of low end you get out of a 12, but if you don't ALSO have some smaller drivers (10's or smaller, depending on if a tweeter/horn is also present), it can seem a bit muddy to me.

If you want a single cab solution, I'd suggest you have Don make you something with a 12 and an 8 (or two). Then, if you wanted to get a second cab to stack with it, get more smaller speakers, like a 2x8, 3x8, or 1x10. IMHO, that'd be a SUPER tight and quick rig with awesome low end.
  20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    DOH! I just saw Tom's last post. :) "+1"