Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Custom Cabinet Manufacturers????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Aug 5, 2002.

1. i've been hunting around for affordable custom cabinet manufacturers... i know of Liberty Sound here in San Diego, but i'm having trouble locating others... anybody got any leads? please help..

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    i checked out that pegasus link. Their 4x10 looks identical to the avatar cabs. I think their the same speakers and similiar construction. The only difference is like $250, i think u know the answer here.

4. hmmm... pegasus seems kinda cool.. what is Avatar? is there a website?

5. rickbass

You're solid for using that as a reference point, IMO, hyper. The comparison can (not "will"), tell the shopper a lot.

But we're talking "custom" cabs, so that could be the crux of the matter here.

Just like basses, there are "customs" and there are "true customs " and that's where the difference is to me. (Although, I consider building basses more of an art than cab making by a longshot). For instance if I don't want Eminence speakers or plywood/particle board construction, a true custom maker will take care of me.

If I knew enough tech to spec a cab down to the last detail, (and I'm far from it), whomever would make that cab according to my spec's gets my money. For me, getting something "custom" means nothing mass produced blows my dress up.

There's some people here on TB who have made their own cabs quite successfully. Maybe some of them would consider making something for you.

6. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas

7. hey rickbass, i should've been a litle more specific to my term of custom i guess.. i'm looking for a particular configuration that i haven't seen much of. i'm trying to get away from using 2 cabs, and not give in to the 8x10.... 6x10 is great, but i want more bottom (a 15" for example). the configuration i'm looking for is either a 2x12 (or 2x10) & 1x15, i also want a mid-driver for the top end instead of a horn for more punch (like on the new hartke 4200). i want to be able to bridge it mono and be able to bi-amp the 1x15 (for lows) and the 2x12 (or 2x10) + mid-driver (for full range). i figure i won't need a horn and i'll get enough punch and clarity using 10's or 12's in conjuction with a mid-driver. i could totally be wrong as well... any cab experts think this is a viable configuration? also i need it to fit in the back seat of a 4-door late 80's camry... :D

8. oh my, i just checked out the avatar website.. is that stuff for real? i mean that is CHEAP. the only things i've seen anywhere near that cheap is carvin, and , well.. we all know how i feel about carvin .. i need to check some reviews on these things.. :eek:

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The Pegasus cabs look a little tougher-built than the Avatars.

I like their "accessories" . . .:)

[​IMG]

10. so those come with the cab????!?!??? the casters i mean.. :D

11. dsmith

dsmith

Mar 29, 2001
    Mt. Vernon, KY
    I have been looking into custom built cabs for a couple of weeks. I just ordered my new rig today, and decided on the Avatar 410B and the 115B for cabs. After talking with Dave at Avatar, I don't think I can go wrong with the price and the 14 day trial period. Will post a review after I give them a good run around the block. By the way, you might check ebay for auctions, Dave puts the cabs up there on a regular basis, just be sure you know which cabs you are bidding on. I saved 56 bucks on the 2 cabs w/ebay. That 56 bucks went to the purchase of a new SKB rack for my power amp and bass pod :D Search ebay keyword "Eminence" to find the cabs, category music.

12. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Avatar: you can't beat that price. Dave is pretty straight about everything. They ship them well protected. They are built very solid. Eminence speakers, Fostex horn w/knob if you want to take the tweeter out completely. I had to put the casters on my 4x10 because my back was getting worn out. I have gigged with it for the past 2months with no problems handling anything I throw at it. I'm just glad I didn't spend 3x that for a comparable cab. gives me more money to spend on effects and "stuff".:p

I think you'll find more than a few other TBers that agree with the positives of this product.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I met a local (Maryland) custom builder, Joe Nahas (sp?) of TNT Sound, a couple of months back.He put one of his cabs in Atomic Music to get feedback from players. It was the best sounding, loudest, cleanest,punchiest single cab I've ever heard. It was also fairly large and heavy (~170 lb.). It contained a 600W 18 in it's own enclosure, topped by two 300w 10's and a horn. Basically it was like having an Eden D210XLT (without the mid coloration) melded with a monster 18 cab that was amazingly tight, especially for an 18. The cab was biampable.

On top of everything else, it was also very efficient. It got extremely loud being driven by a 400w AMP BH-420 amp with gains on "3".

I'm looking at having a small 15/10/horn cab built around an EVM BLack Shadow 400w 15 I have. Should be interesting.

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Brad,
    Any contact info for TNT Sound? Phone, web, e-mail, etc.?

15. rickbass

In case you know, Brad - didn't/doesn't Angus Young or all of AC/DC use those things??? I saw/heard Young using cabs with a "TNT" logo and they were immense!!!

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    TNT Productions
    Joe Nahas at (301) 409-4774

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Could be. I know he does pro sound and he makes pro cabinets. The monster bass guitar cab he had at Atomic was finished similar to the road ready Mesa Boogie cabs with top quality hardware.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Stopped by Atomic Music today. They have two tiltback 1-12 Nahas cabs, similar to my 1-12 but bigger. Very cool. They also have a 15-10, a 2-12 and a 2-10 Nahas, all very beefy. These cabs are bargains IMO.