1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Custom cable question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bjazzman, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    i know this topic has been discussed but since im about done with my pedalboard im thinking about upgrading from my george l's cables to soldered cables.

the only reason i would do this is because i know the soldered route would provide more reliability.

im looking for the cables to be custom length and the smallest possible plugs to save space. I wish hosa made custom lengths in the "pancake" style

any ideas? im most interested in the cheapest route but i know this won't be cheap. i have a pt-pro with probably at least 10 pedals and a large true bypass strip

2. Bjazzman

Bjazzman

Dec 7, 2004
    Madison WI
    oh and apparently bayou cables aren't taking orders

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I've almost always made my own using high quality (and appropriately chosen for the job) raw cable and connectors.

4. +1

its really quite easy to solder your own- and if you want to go the cheapest route- that is it. getting someone to make you cables costs labor- sometimes on a per cable basis. also- if you feel like changing something up- you can always recut/resolder. until recently- i hadnt soldered since i was 12 or so- therefore i am quite confident that anyone can do it- good skill to have.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I buy those molded cables from Ebay. A bag of 10 for like $12, and they come in all sorts of pretty colors. People ask me what my favorite cables are, and my answer is always, "Whatever's on sale."

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    Buy these, and then solder them to this.
    I'm sure there's a company out there that could do it for ya, but I'm betting that they'd take a ridiculously long time to get them to you, and it's easier to make the cables exactly the length you need em than get some that are just barely too short.
    That being said, I am still using George L's and am quite happy with them. One day I may upgrade to something similar using phantom power to power my board, but it's not exactly necessary right now.

7. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    Just a different take on the George L upgrade- you can use other cable than the George L with the George L solderless plugs. For instance Evidence Audio Monorail Cable is .155" and $2.15 / foot vs $1.59 / foot for the George L cable

8. Ha! Beat me to it.
    The canare 4 is a good choice. Very flexible and doesn't colour the tone AFAIK.

The Switchy's are nice and flat, but are pretty big - difficult if you have pedals with a 1/4inch and power plug close together like the 105Q wah.
    Upside is - plenty of cheaper "copies" floating around to buy too.

9. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I googled and found some praise for the Monorail cable upgrade versus George L .155, so I ordered some from Pedalgeek. If it turns out to be a big improvement, I'll try and followup....

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile